Thursday 14 November 2019

thai with Nakhon Kitchen



A good number of places in this country for Thai cuisine I have been to- I make no bones about the fact- and so it is always a delight to discover new dishes at new places that serve up Thai street food.

Every good Thai street food place will have the 'standard' fare of pad thai, tom yum soup, green curry and mango with glutinuous rice on their menu.

But each place has their own distinctive charm that distinguishes them from one another. And after having gone about a couple of rounds, I can safely say that I've got my favorites in each place. All of them serve up pad thai- no question about that- and I can go eat pad thai at any one of those places. But I'm the sort who likes going for the dishes that I love, and so in one place, for instance, I may decide to order the  barbecued pork collar. At another place, however, I may order the more-sweet-than-sour tom yum soup that is like a rich, red broth than a soup. And at still another place, I may have coconut soup that is sweet and which comes served in a claypot.

I've come to street food place Nakhon Kitchen a couple of times now. 

And because they do have a couple of outlets all around the island, the choice of meal depends very much on my appetite for the day.

I have had days where I take pad thai and green curry with beef. I have had days where I've gone for a bowl of tom yum soup and a plate of prawn omelet with rice. And I also have had days where I've decided it shall be fish maw soup and basil pork rice.

But after having had a couple of meals there, these days it is their butter chicken that I specially go for.

Beacause not only is it exclusive to this place (so far I've not seen it anywhere else), the dish is prepared in a way that stimulates the palate with sweet and sour, buttery and salty.

Plus, there's a hint of salted egg in the sauce.

Sure, the dish can lean a little bit to the oily sometimes, but hey, the fried chicken is good, the sauce bursts onto my tongue with its explosion of flavors, and the colors make me happy.

There is nothing else to feel when you've got a canvas of saffon, orange, yellow, red, green and white right in front of you- and if these colors don't cheer me up, well, little else will.