Monday 14 October 2019

O'er at Carlton City










Would it be hard to believe if I told you that on the day I stayed over at Carlton City here in Tonjong Pagar I was in fact rather unsettled in mind and heart?

And that I had come here because it had been deemed necessary for me to have a change of environment, and it was hoped that the time here would serve as a (short) distraction from the things that had been happening in my life?  

Can't say that it didn't work.

Even though there were still the annoying, distressing phone calls which I *had* to pick up.

They spoilt my mood, honestly, because in life there are just  some people whom you don't wish to interact with.

But I was determined not to let the conversation get to me- why spoil the stay, ruin the day, and waste the money that's already been paid at the front counter downstairs?

Of course, having a great view helped.

From the window there was the view of Amara Hotel just in front, there was the view of the housing board flats opposite, the Tanjong Pagar Distripark, the harbour, the dockside, the ships out at anchor, the ships at anchor by the dock, the giraffes, and all the shipping containers that come with the business of logistics, international shipping and port operations.

There was also the view of Pulau Brani, her distinctive hill, and all the foilage on top of it.

It was refreshing to see the little sliver of water by the dock. It was encouraging to see the container ship anchored by the dock. And better yet it was that I could see all the dark jungle green along with the sliver of water (on this day) so blue.

Sitting there on the armchair, staring out the window, I had an epiphany.

And although I won't share it in detail here, let's just say that I came to a more definite conclusion of what it was I wanted to be, where it was I wanted to be, and what it was i didn't want to be.

Having the epiphany was strangely comforting.

It also gave me a renewed sense of hope. 

And the rest of the day passed better after that.

I wish I could say that I did a lot more during the time I was there, but truth is I spent much more time slacking in the room- reading, watching cable, munching snacks and drinking up all the instant coffee- instead of wandering about the neighborhood like a tourist (even a staycay one) is supposed to do.

I'll do that next time.

Because the 'hood of Tanjong Pagar is quite a fascinating one.

On one side you have International Plaza, which leads you to the CBD streets of Anson Road and Robinson Road and which you'll find are literally empty and silent on a Saturday evening. On the other side past the Guocoland building, you have Maxwell Chambers, Maxwell Road and Amoy Street Food Center, which then leads you to Amoy Street and  theThian Hock Keng Chinese Temple.

Nearer to Carlton City there is Tras Street, Tanjong Pagar Road and Duxton Road. The weekend vibe here is great, and I might have hung out had I been in a better frame of mind. After all, this is a place where the shop houses have their own interesting stories, there are the Korean BBQ restaurants, the millennial style cafes and the one thing that Tanjong Pagar Road is famous for- the bridal shops.

There're nuggets of history in the 'hood too.

Right at the back of Carlton City  on Peck Seah Street is a 195 year old Chinese temple that goes by the name of Seng Wong Beo and which is quietly known for the practice of marriages between the non-living. And then somewhere behind the housing board flats there is little Yan Kit Road with the still-standing structure of Yan Kit Swimming Pool that marked one of the first few public swimming pools in the country. You could venture further out, of course, towards Keppel Road, and take a peek at the old Sin Chew Jit Poh Building (now a co-working space, I think) and the Customs House (which I don't know if it is still in operation)

One thing about this place though- there isn't much shopping to be done. 

In fact there's hardly any shopping at all.

On a weekday you might have something at International Plaza, or you might have something at Tanjong Pagar Center. But weekends are notoriously quiet in this area, and other than 100AM which has a supermarket, a Daiso, a Don Don Donki, and a few other shops, there isn't anything much.

Opposite there is another supermarket, a couple of bakeries... and that's about it.

The only shopping I did was at Don Don Donki and Daiso, and which I'm glad I did, because both stores are bright, the jingle at DDK is cute, there were no crowds, I could take my time to appreciate all the merchandise in the stores, and I got to do what I had wanted to do for a very long time- buy salmon sushi, salmon belly sushi, prepackaged meals, snacks, bottled drinks, and then tapao them back upstairs for dinner.

But I didn't eat in the room.

I ate at the picnic tables out by the pool.