Thursday 18 April 2019

To Labrador with Daffy

 



Which date, or even which month it was precisely that we biked our way to the boardwalk at Labrador Park, I don't really remember. But it must have been either a public holiday or a weekend. We would not have gone so far otherwise.

This ride, in fact, could be considered a short one.

Our rides used to be longer- much longer- that extended from this space all the way to Jurong East and Bukit Batok, or Jurong West then Jalan Bahar and Kranji.

But in the last year it was decided that short, speedy, intense rides were in order, so a typical ride would bring us from the east coast side to Marina Barrage then Keppel and Harbourfront before going further upwards to where Alexandra Road was.

Today, however, I wanted to go to Labrador Park. It had been some time since I'd come, and even though the place is most scenic for her sunsets and her dusky twilight, I wanted to be near the open sea and the waves, and upon this stretch it would be this park, I knew, that would bring me as close as one could to the surface of the sea.

I wasn't disappointed.

The skies were a cloudless blue and the sun was burning hot, but the tides were high, the waves were rolling, and if I dared to lean over the railing any further, I thought I just might feel the swell of the sea wash over my outstretched hand.