Tuesday 26 September 2017

the bushra Nasi Lemak

They've moved, the cafe.
 
Either they've moved, or they've closed down. It's either one or the other. You can't see it, but right now I'm letting out a big, big sigh. Cos' whilst one can get really good nasi lemak at hawker centers over at Changi Village or Adam Road Food Center or Geylang Serai or the coffee shop at your house downstairs, once in a while, a place like Bushra surprises you.
 
the cafe herself
I don't really know what particular cuisine it was they specialized in. Funny, right? In the middle of Kampong Glam, in the midst of all these Lebanese, Turkish, Iranian, Arab, Moroccan and a couple more cuisines, including the famous nasi padang hangout, I've no idea what cuisine it was that Bushra served.
 
Maybe because I didn't really take a good look at the menu. See, what happened was that I was hungry, and so I'd stopped there to study the offerings, and there right in front of everything else was this nasi lemak picture with the most mouth-watering descriptions by the side. Descriptions really do work the imagination sometimes, you know, and Bushra's nasi lemak didn't vary far from what they'd written.
 
nasi lemak
 
A little round hillock of soft, fluffy steamed rice infused together with rich coconut milk, one huge piece of fried chicken marinated with some sort of sweet and salty spice, a fistful of crispy fried ikan bilis, a comfortable piece of egg, a thick slice of cucumber and a generous spoonful of sambal chili.
 
It was good, I'm telling you. Super, super good. The rice was fragrant. The chicken was huge, man. Not just one fried chicken wing or one fried chicken drumstick. It was a piece as large as those you get when you order nasi padang. The meat was tender, the skin was crisp, and it wasn't very spicy either. And they served a good omelet- one that wasn't bland or cold or tasteless or so skinny a slice like an egg crepe.
 
the EGGS
I pretty much liked the sambal. Even though I'm not a fantastic fan of sambal and chili in general. There was this distinct sweetness, that distinct flavor of spice and just the right amount of chili heat that really built up the special burst of flavors in the whole dish.
 
Now I only wish I'd patronized the cafe more. Or that I knew at least where they'd moved to. I'm totally missing their nasi lemak, which was a very big plate, by the way, that was really, really so good. -_-