Wednesday 20 September 2017

the Shang by the South China Sea

for me to snooze
I miss this place, man. I miss it to the high heavens.

There was a time when I'd get to hang out here quite a bit. It's been a while since I've frequented here. The last time I came, the benches had been replaced by these huge round rattan basking chairs resembling big pies with a single huge cushion and which two people could easily lie comfortably side by side and gaze at the skies.

But this marks one of my favorites. Ever.

It is to here that I come, whenever possible, to become lost, truly lost, in the surroundings for an hour or two. It is to here that I come when I want to escape from the banging and traffic and crowds and everything else. Here I can forget that I'm in a city. Here I can erase- even if temporarily- the presence of the City and let my mind drift away with the waves that roll just below the little cliff beneath my feet.

And yet, even as Nature immerses you and embraces you here, you're, in fact, not far away from urbanity and humanity. You're not far from people at all. They're just behind, actually. And they can get noisy. Behind you is the swimming pool of Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort, after all, and trust me, they have got a most lovely pool. :)

Still, for real peace and quiet, come in the late evenings when the sun has set and the skies have faded from bright daylight to dusky twilight. Come when the children have headed back to the rooms to bathe and change for dinner. Come when the lights of the resort twinkle on and invite you to enter their atmosphere.

Because it is most romantic then.

And it is most mystical and most mysterious then.

When you gaze out over the dark waters of the South China Sea, the blackness of the nearby cliffs (there is a tunnel somewhere!) balanced with the blinking lights of the tankers anchored so near you.

I love the sound of the waves that crash against the rocks, and the rustling music of leaves above my head whenever the wind blows. It is then that I close my eyes and let myself drift away to somewhere, and by the time I open my eyes again, I'm just thankful to have fallen deep into that one very moment.

I'm thankful to be alive. To be at peace. To be here.