Saturday 1 June 2024

Bangkok: Empire Tower & Central

There wasn't much that we did today. 

A bit of pensiveness on my part, partially because our trip was coming to an end, partially because there were upcoming stuff which I wasn't very keen to do. 

But that's me, and fortunate I was then to be with someone who took a much livelier, mindful attitude towards the day and so went about doing what we wanted to do. 

The day started off, of course, with breakfast, which today had a plate of stir-fried flat rice noodles with soy sauce (dry, just the way I liked it!), a couple of cherry tomatoes- they were too red and fresh and cheerful looking to be left out- and a fried egg, because it somehow reminded me a little of the fried kuay teow and fried egg which back on the island I would get from the economic bee hoon stall. 


It wasn't just the flat rice noodles that I had this morning.

There was fruit, and for some reason I was determined to take a bit more than I did yesterday. 

I guess I thought I'd miss the watermelon, the cantaloupes and the juicy fresh papayas.

After the morning meal we went to the TOPS supermarket at Empire Tower- that being the very same one which I'd visited a couple of days before. 

We wanted groceries to bring home. 

So here it was with a bottle of olive oil, a couple bottles of protein shakes (mostly chocolate flavor and maybe Thai tea flavor), and I got a packet of instant coffee sticks because as much as such a product is available on the shelves of Thailand's supermarkets, Nescafe's Americano Sugar Free isn't distributed everywhere and coffee drinker than I am has to stock up on this as and when. 

A quick lunch we had afterwards at this Japanese cafe in the mall.

I think the name is Muteki.

What with it being the weekend, and what with this being in the business district, we were actually surprised that it was open. 

But the food was good. 

We ordered a Salmon Donburi, a plate of beef slices in some sort of yuzu mixed soy sauce, and then, for me, a Katsudon. 



My friend loved the Salmon Donburi, said that the slices were thick and fresh and cold and there was this little spoonful sized portion of Ikura on top. 

Me, I loved my Katsudon too. 

The pieces of breaded cutlet were chonky thick, the meat didn't require much of a chew but it was the breaded batter that I really loved. 

You know how some places give you dry, hard batter that feels like it has been recently dragged out from the freezer then fried? 

The ones here in my bowl weren't like that at all.

There was a bit of crunch, yes, but it was soft and tender and the meat had a nice, comforting chew. 

Perhaps the best part of this Katsudon was the egg. 

Softly scrambled, it is the best part of the bowl and I love how it mixes so well with the breaded cutlets, making them feel moist, fluffy, chewy, yet slightly crunchy at the same time. 

We decided to take a slow walk back to Eastin Grand before heading off to this place near Silom for a bit of spa. 


Okay, here's the funny thing.

I don't remember the name of the spa.

Neither do I remember exactly where the spa was.

But I know it was somewhere in the Silom side.

I know it had a mint green and white interior.

And I know that it was in a two-storeyed (or more) unit in a block that reminded me of a cosy Mediterranean place with brick courtyard, carved metal benches and plants here and there. 

I wish I could tell you just what treatment it was that I had gone for. 

But I don't remember.

I only know I chose a Lavender oil because I wanted to not think about things for a while.

It was very comfortable, I know, because I fell asleep somewhere around the shoulder massage and hand massage that the therapist skillfully did for me. 

There were traditional snacks too, a bit of coconut tapioca (if I'm not wrong) or it might have been mango sticky rice, and then there was pandan tea. 



After this we headed over to Central World. 

Here we bought more snacks at the TOPS on the 7th floor (Almond Chips and Corn Chips are a very lovely thing) then for dinner we decided on shabu shabu and sukiyaki at a hotpot place in the same mall on the very same floor. 

It looks simple, yes, but don't underestimate it. 



The soup was tasty- quite sweet, really, because I chose Sukiyaki- there were plenty of my favorite vegetables to stir inside the broth, and the sliced meats were cold and fresh and cooked really quick inside the pot. 

Add to that the salad with some sort of vinegarette dressing, and it was altogether a very, very good meal.