Friday 28 April 2023

On the ECP

You know, it's not a very frequent thing that I get to take so many pictures whilst traveling on the ECP.

But then today I was going to Changi International Airport from Marine Parade, and I didn't want to stone the journey, so out came Chonkycam, and I happily clicked away.

The ECP, or East Coast Parkway as we call it, has to be one of the prettiest expressways in our country. 

Yes, you won't get much of a city view, but in place of skyscrapers and concrete structures, you get rewarded with glimpses of a gorgeous coastal view, and what seems like an endless stretch of beautifully pruned trees. 

I'm nor kidding.

It's as if the urban planners intended first-time visitors to see the beauty of a Garden City as soon as they touched down, whilst (at the same time) reminding us locals flying out never to forget the green charms of our homeland either. 








I'd say it's been rather successful. 

Visitors have told us what an amazing thing it is that Singapore has a garden in ta city. 

And locals, well, we're rather proud of our majestic Angsana trees and pretty bougainvillea shrubs anyway.

One thing you'll notice about these trees is that no two of them look exactly the same. It doesn't matter if they're the same kind- as the bus trundles on, you'll realize that they don't look alike in any way. 

I found myself particularly charmed by the sight of these palm trees that I think were near the golf course. 

Don't ask me why, but for some reason they made me think of... Port Dickson. 

Or some route that runs by the coast somewhere in the tropics. 

The row of palm trees didn't last long, however.

No sooner that the bus went past we were back to the canopies of Angsana trees again.

It's strange how the sight of these trees can genuinely affect your mood. 

I don't know if they're supposed to make you feel contemplative, thankful, thoughtful, or hopeful. 

I also don't know if they're meant to drift you off into some kind of stupor as you travel towards the airport.

But today on Bus 36, I felt contemplative. 

Because there was something at Changi Airport that I wanted to see. 

And whilst I wasn't sure whether I felt as hopeful as I once used to, I had a hint that, perhaps, I might be happier seeing them bi-directional going forth and coming back, not so much, however, of them being continuously all around me.