Friday 28 April 2023

Lunch at Zenso

One reason why I think me and my friend have taken a fancy to Zenso (at Sunshine Plaza) is perhaps, because of the hours they're open, and the variety of food they have over there.

Going there for a meal I don't have to worry that I have to order full sized plates which I might not be able to finish, or have good food which I unfortunately have to finish within a certain period of time. 

Sometimes we go for the big, sometimes we go for the small.

Like today, where we went for the small. 

So, instead of the Mookata platters that we (did) frequent last year, we went for the lighter dishes of pork cutlet, Moo Ping, Pad Thai and spring rolls. 




It was good. 

Some of us might not find the fried spring rolls or the pork cutlet any distinctive, but Zenso does theirs really well, so much so that satisfaction fills you the moment you take the first bite of the spring roll, and likewise you find yourself reaching (automatically) for piece after piece of the cutlet you earlier thought you didn't want to have. 

I like how the flavors of the spring roll pop up in my mouth, I like the crisp of the skin, and I like that they don't fry it with too much of oil. 

It's the same for the Moo Ping.

There're many places that offer (keto-friendly) skewers of this well loved street food, but unlike others that are hard and overly soaked in oil, here theirs are tender, chewy, and not dry, where I get just the right amount of sweetness all over the pork, a characteristic that pretty much defines the cuisine of the Thais. 

I'm pretty glad that their Pad Thai and pork cutlet are delicious too. 

Especially since I've had plates of Pad Thai that, whilst looking pretty, turned out to be either too wet, too oily or neither here nor there in terms of taste. 

And I've had cutlets which are so miserably small that both the meat and the battered skin fall off at first bite. 

Sure, the pork cutlet might not be the chonky, huge ones that we see in other cuisines, but seeing the picture now reminds me a little of the Carona lemon chicken cutlet I used to have in school, and whilst this one doesn't come with lemon sauce, there's Thai chili sauce, and I think that's pretty good too.