Monday 17 April 2023

McDonalds Bras Basah

It's gotten very hard to write this piece.

I don't know why. 

Especially since this doesn't usually happen to me. 

And really, why should it be so hard? 

What can be so difficult writing about a McDonalds in the building that once used to stand at this site but is now demolished? 

What can be so confusing that my thoughts not be able to flow when all I want is to talk about this McDonalds and all the times I've been there?

Maybe I haven't had the space to give myself room.

Or maybe I haven't had the space to give myself room to look at all that has been a part of my life and is now no longer there. 

It's not with a sense of regret that I write about this place.

It's with a smile.

Because I've been coming here ever since I was a little girl and those times, even though so long ago now, I can still recall. 

No doubt, I don't remember every single time. 

But enough that I can remember the hamburgers that I used to have here. 

And enough that I can remember the row of tables that we used to sit at whenever we had those hamburgers here on Sundays after church. 

I don't know why it was always the hamburger. 

But I never got bored. 

I didn't ask for anything else, or anything more either.

It was enough for me- the juice of the meat, the taste of the pickle, the bounce of the bun. 

That being said, however, hamburgers aren't the only thing I remember of this place. 

There are apple pies and hash browns, bought by the Sunday School  teacher for the entire class.

There are also Hotcakes and Big Breakfast meals, bought by my friend and I as a treat for ourselves on those days when class ended early and we came here from church located across Victoria Street on the other side. 

I don't think it likely that I'll soon forget about the chicken nuggets and the box of sweet sour sauce that I liked dipping them in. 

Neither will I forget about the hot fudge ice cream sundae, the strawberry ice cream sundae, and the cup of sweet corn mixed generously with margarine/butter. 

Yes, this McDonalds here holds precious memories for me. 

It's a little sad knowing she's now gone. 

But (who knows) maybe one day she'll come back- to this area where she once was, to the space where everyone at one time remembered and knew.