Wednesday 2 August 2017

sesame chicken Ginger

There's just one picture.

Because this is one of the (only) few dishes I've had so far at Soon Huat Bak Kut Teh.

I've tried their white bee hoon, which was full of gravy and lots and lots of bee hoon and was really good. I've tried their dried bak kut teh. But given that I'm not really quite a bak kut teh eater, and since I've got a regular hangout... this sesame chicken and ginger is what I've gone for, over and over again. :)

soup on the side

It comes to you simmering in its clay pot, and you can see the tiny little bubbles over the surface. There's a mild fragrance that's just there, and like what bak kut teh is to many, it is just as warm, comforting and endearing, especially on a windy, rainy day.  

I like the chicken. The pieces are small, easy to pick with chopsticks and best thing, there are no teeny-tiny bones. I'm terrified of little chopped bones in chopped chicken pieces. I like the spring onions too, and I always get the whole lot of them.

Above everything else in this dish is the gravy. It is tops. Lots and lots of sesame oil. Lots and lots of vinegar.  It doesn't overpower you. It doesn't make you feel like you're taking a herbal broth or that you're needing the vinegar. It just tastes good. Plus I'm a fan of sesame oil, so much so that I literally drown my rice in the gravy. :P

Post Meal Art