Tuesday 8 March 2016

the Backstory

face between coughs
Remember in an earlier post I wrote about how every picture has a backstory? That it doesn't matter how perfect (or imperfect) a shot seems there's always a story that goes along with it. 

We tend to associate pleasant stories with pleasant pictures and unpleasant stories with unpleasant ones. Many a time it is true. Yet, there are times that it can be directly opposite. 

Now I'm not sure whether that's how it is for others. I'm also not sure whether it is the same for the pictures we take from to time, but pretty often I'm in the dump of the dumps I whip out my phone and try to take a good selfie. Knowing that I'm looking pretty okay for that day cheers me up immediately.

It's like a happy mirror.

Like this shot above. I look fine, don't I? But what you don't know is that in between this shot I was coughing and sniffling away with a box of tissues in front of me. What you don't know is that I was had a hacking cough that went on non-stop, that I was blowing my nose non-stop, that I had to have bottles of warm water on the floor near me and, no, I wasn't sitting as upright as you see in the shot. I was literally stretched out because the flu had made my muscles all cramped.  
bad hair day
Then there was this day.

It was a day when the strands would not stay down and it was going haywire and I wasn't feeling too great with how I looked and I thought I was looking like a heck of a frumpish and I wanted to go shopping to change my entire outfit from head to toe and go absolutely crazy with my sense of style but I couldn't, and so I did the best thing I could. I tied my hair up, wore my color-changing lip balm and took a selfie.
after editing a long, long email
I was just waiting for the bill after having finished a great lunch  at Yakiniku where I'd eaten a bowl of teriyaki chicken don with gingko nuts hidden in the rice together with salad in yuzu vinegarette and wakame soup and kimchi... and after having edited a long email.

Okay, it wasn't really one of THOSE moments.

It was just that I was at the window seat and there was this glorious early afternoon sunshine beaming into the restaurant and I thought it made my skin look all glowy and bronzy and sun-kissed.