Tuesday 8 March 2016

flippity Flip Flip phone

the LG Lollipop

So I'm staring at this picture once again and d***, do I miss this phone.

This is (and I say is, because I'm still holding on to it) one phone that I really, really fell in love with. I don't care if it's called a dinosaur by users of touchscreens. I don't care if its OS is kind of outdated or discontinued or whatever. I don't care if everyone is going smartphone on me and such button phones are no more.

I'll always love this phone.

And why not? What's not to love?

It's slim, pretty, bright, with cute LED light patterns on the cover when you flip it open and close. It's got that satisfying 'piak' sound when the phone closes on its lid. Then there's that transparent part on the cover which has running lights and which you can change its running order. From right to left, left to right and centered and in a multitude of colors in red, yellow, green, blue, purple and turquoise, which was my favorite.

And it has buttons.

Yeah, it has the alphanumeric buttons but they're placed in such a pretty way that you don't feel old-ish using it. Instead you feel quirky, individualistic, even a tad cutesy rebellious when you're typing away, like you're defying what everyone else is doing and just doing your own thing, in your own style.

The Lollipop grants the user an entertainment UX, which is to say that whilst it pretty much functions like a typical 3G phone with the basic suite of features- camera, media player, settings, SMS, wifi and all... you don't feel the stolidity of Nokia, the seriousness of Ericsson nor the usability of Samsung when you've got it in your hand. Neither will you feel like you're holding an Alcatel or CDMA or Hutchison, which models have long disappeared from the current consumer market (but which some of us might still use, and still remember)

Let me put it this way.

I have a Galaxy III now, and I'm using it well. But place the LG Lollipop in my hand and at once I get into a cute, cute mode as if I were carrying cute little cloth bags with ribbons and lace all over, as if I had kitschy notebooks with sketches of animals and characters on the front cover, as if my hair was permed and styled and worn with a pretty hairpin. At once I find myself wanting to talk in a higher pitch, with much more blink-eye gestures and livelier voices... despite the fact that I'm still just me. :)

Or if I were to put it in another way...

I can't say that I'm feeling like I'm in Gangnam when I'm using the phone- it's not the glamorous sort. Neither can I say that I'm in Hongdae, cos' I don't quite feel the future when I'm using it. But I think I can say that I'm in Noryangjin, where on one hand I attend cram classes to prepare for the exam which will lead me to a stolid, stable future whilst on the other, I'm being very cute and youthful and girly going about it.