Thursday, 23 July 2026

Bus from Yishun: 2022

So I was sorting through some of my pictures the other day and found, quite to my surprise, a bunch of pictures that I thought I had previously edited with Photoshop Express, but turns out, I did not. 

I have written about this bus journey before. 

But these pictures, as they are now, I have not.

So, here we are. 










To be honest I have no idea which part of the bus journey these pictures exactly are. 

I just know that I had been heading to SAFRA Yishun for an errand on behalf of Mr. Radioman and I had had come from the Geylang Serai side, gone to the letter box downstairs his house, taken his IC and his collection letter from the letter box, and taken 854 up to Yishun where the SAFRA was. 

The route, if I'm not wrong, probably ran along Yio Chu Kang Road and maybe part of Seletar Road, or somewhere that's close to the Lentor side heading towards the northern part of the country. 

What's a little odd is that I don't recognize a single landmark in this set of pictures.

I don't know what those blocks of flats are, where they belong to. 

I don't know where the intersections are, what those factory buildings belong to, even where they are. I completely have no idea. The only thing I have is an inkling, one that means makes me think the buildings were somewhere on the Upper Yio Chu Kang side corresponding to the area above Ang Mo Kio and before the Seletar reservoir.

Also, don't ask me about the condos, and the terrace houses. 

I have no idea what they are, their name, which street they are on, or which part of the journey they actually are on.

The only thing I cab be a little bit certain of is the expressway. 

That, very likely, is the Seletar Expressway. 

I don't think the CTE stretches this far up north. 

But I like the pictures.

They give ma quiet sense of nostalgia. 

Also a bit of regret, not on my part, but on Mr. Radioman's part. 

He had been excited to collect these vouchers. To him they represented his identity as a citizen, as someone who had served the country in the military as a combat medic way back in the 70s, and as someone whom the country- and the military- still remembered. 

I have no idea what he planned to use these vouchers on.

But he did buy some cough medicine from the Unity Pharmacy at Kangkar Mall. 

That was November- same month I collected these vouchers on his behalf. 

He held on to those vouchers all through December.

But by early January he was gone.