Thursday 25 April 2024

Taiwan: H20 Hotel

I thought I'd write a little about this hotel. 

Not for any other purpose, let's be clear, other than the fact that I've already stayed in it, and I like to keep my memories of it right here. 

At first glance, H20 Hotel on Minghua Road, Gushan District looks just like any other building, any other hotel, nothing too spectacular in its architecture. Nothing about the property (and her neighbors) make you feel like you're in a touristy district or business district or anything of the sort- even though the Kaohsiung Arena is but a eight minute walk away and there's the Hanshin Arena Shopping Mall ten minutes away on foot.




But come night, the exterior transforms from a formal day-time black to a shimmery, colorful, happening synthwave, and you know you're in something special. 

The contemporary color theme of the hotel was one of the first things that attracted me. 

Next was the sun-filled lobby, and the professional efficiency of the staff when they checked us into the room. 

There's something contemplative about seeing the view of Kaohsiung outside the window, and I know I looked it at every night that I was there. 


A part of me wishes I knew exactly what it was I were looking at, but if I'm not wrong, it was Kaohsiung Municipal Minghua Junior High right in front of the lobby windows, Shennong Road, Dashun 1st Road, and the Love River in front. 

From where we were, we could also look out to the Kaohsiung Marriott (I could see the logo) and by virtue of that, also Costco- if the building had been high enough. 

If it isn't the view that draws you close, there is the room. 

Few are the rooms that successfully combine the best of the best within a small, compact, contemporary space. 

This is not a room that's extensively spacious. 

Neither is this a room that has furnishings grand-looking beyond words. 

No, this is a neat, compactly-decorated room with enough space for a person or two to move comfortably around, and enough space for a person to lay out belongings here and there for ease of access and use. 



All the furniture in this room seems to have had their dimensions carefully measured to fit the space, and size. 

None of the pieces looked like they were too small or too large for the space they were in. 

Whether it was the narrow wardrobe by the entrance, the luggage dresser right outside the bathroom, the deep tub in the bathroom, or the separate shower and bidet area, everything was fitted to suit a person's needs, and to also give ample space for a person to feel at ease and at home.

I took a special liking to the desk and the box-like armchair. 

Yes, someone might disagree with me, like why is the desk so small but so heavy, why is the chair fixed and not rollable like many an office chair is, but oy, the chair was of comfortable height and made for a great seat to settle oneself on. 

Then there might be those who gawk at the size of the chair and complain that it doesn't look as comfortable as a 'real' armchair. 

Now, I don't know what defines a 'real' armchair or a 'fake' one, but this one here was downright comfortable. Whilst it did help that there were cushions on all three sides, it was so easy to sink into the chair and curl up, despite its squarish, hard-looking sides. I found myself sitting cross legged on this chair most of the time, although one evening I did curl up to look out the window at the night view. 

What's more, there was a round coffee table of just the right height and size in the sitting area and which, surprisingly, did not look out of place one bit at all. 

I loved the room.

I loved how the lights made the room very, very cozy, especially on rainy evenings that brought the temperature of the place down by a degree. 

I also loved how everything had its own place such that I could lay my things out easily and not worry that they'd stick out or be incongruent with their surroundings. 

And it wasn't even the room alone. 

The pool too had her charm.

The only rooftop pool in Kaohsiung, it didn't matter that there were meter-high barriers surrounding the pool. Neither did it matter that the pool looked like an elongated fish tank. It was cool to look at, and cool to take a dip in. 

Which, of course, I couldn't. 

Heck, I didn't even get a chance with the tub. 

Such a pity, now that I think about it, especially when their toiletries were from Bvlgari with a distinctive scent of luxury.