Wednesday 6 March 2024

Bus Ride Sights: Guillemard Road

I've got a surprising number of pictures for what is, technically, a very very short ride.

There are times when I get a whole bunch of pictures from the ride beginning to end.

There are times, however, when Chonkycam gets kept back into my bag halfway because I've already gotten pictures of the view, and I don't want to regurgitate what I've previously written before.

Today was one of those times. 

For what reason it was that I didn't continue taking pictures after Guillemard Road, I don't really know, but I've got quite a few of the road itself, and yeah, I'm glad. 

Chonkycam came out somewhere near Haig Road where the KINEX Mall is. 

It's not a super popular mall, like it's not one of those malls that you will deliberately go make a special trip for, but it's a mall that houses a supermarket, a DAISO, a couple of knick-knack stores, and a couple of eating places, including a Burger King and a KFC. 

After KINEX came City Plaza which currently stands as one of the few remaining strata shopping centers in this area and which still carries on her own vibe. 

Besides the fact that she appeals directly to the community of FDWs from Indonesia who descend upon this area every Sunday, within the walls too is the very first outlet of Arnold's Fried Chicken, a fact which makes her immensely popular with everyone and anyone who appreciates a good fried chicken. 

A couple of random pictures followed right after the bus turned left into Guillemard Road. 

It would have been lovely if I'd managed to snap a picture or two of the turn into the lanes but then the bus hurried on and so all I got was a random tree at the bus stop after.


A couple of housing blocks (I think it's Pine Lane) followed after the bus passed by Kong Hwa School (which I didn't take a picture of) and then the bus stopped at the zone where a long time ago might have been the Singapore Badminton Hall.

I'm not very good with the landmarks on this road.

As in, i don't recognize them very well now, and I don't always manage to recall what they used to be either.

My vague guess is that this building used to be the Singapore Badminton Hall with a well-known roast duck place close by at street level on the ground floor. 


But I might be mistaken.

There're no indicators that let me know whether the roast duck place used to be there.

There're also no indicators about the Korean BBQ restaurant that used to be in the building next to the Singapore Badminton Hall. 

What this building now is, I don't know- for some reason this particular afternoon I didn't get to take a picture and I didn't get to see- but maybe the 24 hour spa with the indoor onsen is still there. 

They used to be heavily advertised- this spa- after all. 

I'm glad to see that the building of the Singapore Badminton Hall is still there, complete with her sloping roof and the ventilation on the walls.

There may come a day where I'll find some time to take a gander through her doors- there's a bit of heritage in this space after all- but this afternoon the bus passed on, first going past the Chen Li Presbyterian Church and then right next to it, the distinctive red building that houses the Singapore Judo Federation.