Friday 22 March 2024

Bangkok: Of Dogs, a Foot Spa and Dinner

Okay, so it might be a little myopic but it never occurred to me that amongst all the travel plans I'd one day fly to Bangkok just to play with dogs at a dog cafe. 

So yes, you can imagine just how pleasantly surprised I was when told that we'd be coming to this place near Ekkamai for dogs, for small bites, and for coffee. 

Dog In Town is not just any dog cafe, but a fairly well known one located at 1 Ekkamai 6 Alley in a lovely, charming, quiet neighborhood not too far a walk away from the Ekkamai BTS Train Station.

Amongst the stars of their cafe this afternoon were two perfectly groomed huskies (OMG their fur), one curious, playful French bulldog who hopped up to our table to sniff at our drinks and steal food, a stocky-looking grey-furred mini Schnauzer who lumbered around the cafe and hopped up to sit beside guests, a very charming and lovable West Highland White Terrier who kept turning up at the corner we were sitting because we had intruded into his regular corner, two full sized corgis who posed perfectly for pictures, and a sleepy Shetland sheepdog who seemed to be in one of the most languid moods on that afternoon.





It was a very intimate sort of space, and it was great taking pictures of the dogs, especially as they ran around happily in the well manicured garden, and barked at new guests coming into the cafe whilst they slurped up iced water from big metal bowls. 

What made this cafe unique was the fact that the (human) staff were experts at what they were supposed to do. 

Watching them gather up the doggies to take pictures with guests made me realize that they were literal dog trainers- that besides running this cafe they also spent a good amount of time guiding and training all the dogs , and that they'd specially trained the dogs for photography. 

I don't think I'd ever interacted with that many dogs at one go. 

Especially the corgis (whom I've always seen online but have never patted before) and the Westie who sniffed my feet then settled down.  

There were plans to have dinner at this place called Asiatique in the evening but it was still early afternoon when we left, so after a few pictures of the neighborhood, out we came to the main road. 

i wish I could remember the name of the road that we were on. 

If I'm not wrong it should be Ekkamai Road- I've got a distinct memory of having seen the Bangkok Business Center Building, and the Fujitsu General (Thailand) sign on one of the buildings along the road. 



But we were here for a spa, of which we took three hours of, first beginning with an hour long foot massage (where I fell asleep) then a two-hour long hot compress detoxifying massage (where I also fell asleep and midway needed to pee).

They were strong, these masseuses, and I felt residual aches here and there on my back almost right after.


Thank God then for the refreshing tea in a very pretty cup that they presented to us right after. 

What sort of tea it was, I can't remember- it might have been lemongrass- but it bolstered the half-dazed me and granted a spurt of energy for the evening coming right ahead. 

It was to Asiatique that we went to straight after.

Sitting on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, Asiatique strikes herself out as a combination place with reputed restaurants, small theme park rides, street food stalls, shopping and souvenir stalls, and dynamic night market vibes. 

The first thing you notice about this place is her Ferris Wheel.

She stands out so bright against the dark night sky it's impossible to miss. 

Whether you be at the shops of the night market, whether you be at the restaurant (like we were), she stands out bright, glittery, like an icon symbolizing glitz and glamor in a most fun way. 

Dinner this evening was at Crystal, which, having gotten a table by the water, I was treated to a most scenic sight of the cruise ferries and boats making their way up and down the river. 

I was delighted to be so near the water, really, because seeing the Chao Phraya River up at close range had been one of my (unspoken) quiet dreams. 

As for the food, I'll write about it another time, but let's just say that everything served on the table was good, and I wouldn't hesitate to have them all over again the next time I'm there. 

Will I order the same dishes again?

Maybe, maybe not. 

There'll be others I want to try.

But for this evening I loved the beef tartare, the tomato salad, the lobster bisque, the pork chop, and the little bowl of fries that I thought we wouldn't have but my friend decided it worth a special order. 




After dinner we headed to the theme park area, first passing by the brightly lit carousel, and (at the bequest of my friend) went on the horror house ride (which I don't normally do) and the ferris wheel (which I'm cool). 


Then there was a spot of shopping- I got a lovely bag of Boston bag design with an elephant on it- and then not long after decided we'd head back.