Saturday 30 December 2023

The OUMI View

One of the things that I wanted to do this time round (which I didn't get to do the last time I ate here at OUMI) was to take beautiful pictures of her sky-high scenery. 

Now it might not mean much to those who are familiar with such and such a view. 

But oy, it means a lot to me.

See, the last time I ate here, whilst I enjoyed the meal, in truth, my RGPs were hurting the s*** out of me and I couldn't really see. 

This time, however, with the joy of soft lens and everything, I am liberated.

I can claim victory in sight of my surroundings, and I am free. 

The view from our table this time round wasn't very different from the last. 

I think so. 

What did make a difference, however, was the light, and the angle, which made composition of the picture so much better. 

I wish (offhand) I could remember just what view it was that we got the last time, but it's been more than four months, and although I have better memories of the food, the view, well, not so much. 

That's not to say that I wasn't as impressed as I was the last time I came here.

Because, oy, how often is it that one can claim to be looking at Marina Bay Sands instead from Marina Bay Sands looking out? 

And how often is it that one can have a lovely meal whilst soaking in the magnificence of the view? 


I was reluctant to leave the place (and the view) when the time came for our dining turn to be over, so out to the drinks foyer I went- to admire the scenery, take more pictures, and to appreciate the view. 

It's one thing to just keep an eye on the structure of Marina Bay Sands. 



It's another thing however to look beyond the three towers towards the wide expanse of sea. 

You know how it's oft said that campfire light tends to mesmerize? 

That's what the sight of the sea does for me. 

Continually I found my eyes drifting towards the horizon, towards the distance where the line of sky met the blue waters of the sea. 

Maybe because I was in a kind of mood where I wanted to sail away. 

Maybe because I was tired of a few things that chained me to the land. 

I didn't dare to look the other side.

There were things I didn't want to think about.

There were things I didn't want to see. 

So I kept my eyes on the ships.

And I kept my eyes on the pale blue surface of the Singapore seas.

There is a lot to be seen in these pictures, really. 

I don't mean just the Marina Barrage or the Marina Bay Reservoir or the Singapore Flyer or even the Ritz. 

I mean the stretch where the park next to the water is- that big patch of green where the current Marina Bay Golf Course is and then East Coast Park as where the shore follows. 

Perhaps I feel more for the south-east coast these days more than I do the north-east. 

I've been happier this side of the island. 

Perhaps one day I'll find the courage to look towards the north-east where I'm (still) familiar with, but today, from the height of the 51st floor in Raffles Place in Japanese fusion restaurant called OUMI, I looked towards the horizon, I looked towards the sea, and I kept my eyes affixed there.