Tuesday 12 December 2023

Thai Yums Near MacPherson

A friend told me about this place at MacPherson Road, said that there was a good weekend deal, and maybe we could go give a try.

At first I thought the place talked about was along MacPherson Road where in recent years a lot of cafes, Thai food places, zichar places and Mookata places have sprung.

As it turned out however, it was really more along Upper Aljunied Road rather than MacPherson Road, and it were in a row of shops at the junction to Jln Mulia that leads to Jln Gembira where I'm a little familiar with because as a child I used to go.

I hadn't been expecting to find a Thai food place here, but hey, life springs (pleasant) surprises, and Super Thai by Soi Aroy was, in fact, pretty good. 

First feels of the place made me think of the ground-floor drinking clubs in the (now quiet) Golden Mile. 

I think it was the synthwave neon. 

Which, seeing that the menu had alcohol, no surprise that the vibe of the synthwave neon might make you order a Chang, a Singha or a bucket of bottles altogether. 

At another time I might think of a fruit beer. 

But it was now 3pm in the afternoon and what I really wanted to have was lunch

So we ordered a Pad Thai. 

Was it good?

Absolutely.

You know how some places do their Pad Thai in the clean, sweet, Thai sweet chili style? 

Not Super Thai. 

Theirs, I'm going to say, was done the way I imagine street vendors in Bangkok would make theirs- full of flavor, full of seasoning, full of oil. 

The portion was huge, and I'm not sure if the street style includes an egg, but there was one and a bit of runny egg yolk over wok-fried rice noodles can go a very long way.

I'm glad for this plate of noodles.

I'm glad too for the rice-loving one who shared it with me. 

The other dish we decided to order this afternoon was the Green Curry beef.

Again it might sound like an ordinary dish, something which I always order whenever I go out for Thai food, but I felt a sense of satisfaction just looking at the bowl- and the size of it. 

It was pretty fun to fish around for slices of tender beef to go with our Pad Thai (we'd skipped rice), but, really, what I loved was the creamy, delicious green curry itself.

Her flavors hovered delicately between the sweet and savory with a solid punch of spice, but I loved the kick it gave and I enjoyed drinking the curry straight out from the bowl. 

It's one thing to ladle a huge portion of curry over rice and eat it together.

It's another thing however when you spoon it from the bowl to your mouth. 

The spice seriously kicks in. 

You know, I really wish we could have finished the whole bowl of curry but they didn't stinge on the portion- plus we also had the Moo Ping- and so decided it better to space our appetites out and dabao the curry back home instead. 

A wise decision it of course turned out to be, because if there's one thing you must have when you come here to Super Thai, it's the Moo Ping. 

It's not small! 

And best part, not only is it not small, it's skillfully grilled, it's got the right taste of sweet sticking to the savory fire-cooked meat itself, and just the sensation of nibbling it off the stick alone can make you feel satisfied, and full.