Friday 1 December 2023

Chicken & Yuzu Mayo with Genki Sushi

We were here, I think, sometime in the middle of December. 

That is, if my memory serves me well. 

It's always a bit of a pity when I don't remember when it is that I have some of the meals that I enjoy, because more often than not, they're delicious, they hold significance to me, and even though I might have had them several times before, everything somehow always feels new. 

I have had meals at Genki Sushi before. 

But always pleasant it is to have my favorites all over again. 






I don't know when it was that I started liking their version of salmon belly sashimi.

It might be a little different from some other places that I've been to, but theirs here doesn't feel compromised in any way either. 

Perhaps on occasion the rice of the sushi might be a little hard or a little cold, but it's not so bad, especially if you decide to have your sushi the unconventional (and uncultured) way by splitting up the sashimi and the rice, eating them both separately. 

Even the skin- when left by the side of the salmon sashimi- doesn't have any slimy feel nor does it have any fishy fishy taste. 

So suited is it for my palate that I simply slide it into my mouth with my chopsticks and have the whole slice at one go.

Another dish that I have come to love whenever we eat at Genki Sushi is the chicken with yuzu mayo. 

It might sound very normal, very regular, maybe something that generally anyone can make, but it's a very fun dish to have, and the yuzu mayo is surprisingly refreshing even when eaten on its own. 

I have wished, from time to time, to be able to have a separate serving of the yuzu mayo, and yes, I have requested several times before. 

But then they're generous, I'm never able to finish all of the second serving they give me, and it's a waste, I always feel, when I see dollops of this good thing left behind. 

It becomes such, thus, that when I do decide to have a second serving of the yuzu mayo, that I make sure I eat it with some of the other foods too. 

Like the rice, which by that time I've already begun eating separately, and like the tempura prawn which is so small and cute that I think it's meant for children but we dip it with the mayo and munch it all up anyway. 

There were a couple other dishes that we ordered this afternoon at Genki Sushi.

What they are, now I can't recall.

There was definitely salmon.

Yet how exactly it was prepared, or even what kind of salmon it was, I'm afraid, has completely slipped my mind. 

I just know that there was a wee bit of sauce, and maybe it was lightly grilled, or flambed, or something. 

Amongst all our orders there were, however, little round-shaped deep fried cream croquettes that we don't order very often and so their presence on the table was a surprise. 

And certainly there was the chicken kaarage that, at other places, is already a frequent order, and here, at Genki Sushi, with its carefully fried texture, is also a long time favorite of mine.