Tuesday 12 September 2023

Kim San Leng Coffee Shop

Okay, wait, wait, wait....

Before y'all start wondering what this is gonna be about, let me first say that No, I'm not on some juncture of coffee shop reviews, and No, I'm not here to write (with intent) about the stalls or the food or whatsoever. 

It's just that- like how my kopi at Kimly was- I so happened to be here for lunch one Friday afternoon, I so happened to order from this particular stall, and I so happened to take the picture. 

Can I say that I was completely clueless about Kim San Leng, that I didn't know it at all?

No, I can't.

Because I've seen this coffee shop a good many times before. 

Except that it's only ever been through the windows of the bus. 

I've never eaten at them before. 

There's been no chance. 

But then we've now moved to a place where it makes sense to just go around explore, and so one hot afternoon we walked all the way down one of the Lorongs, made a right, came to this junction where Changi Road meets Telok Kurau, and decided to eat there.

I was very tempted by the chap cai png actually, but it was a weekday midweek (diet and all) and so I couldn't have a plate of rice- even as much as I wanted to.

Then I wanted to try the zichar maybe, but it was day time and the dishes felt a bit more suited for dinner time. 

There was still the (well-known) Fried Rice stall that I was eagerly anticipating to try but then they accepted nothing else but hard cash- which of all things we so happened not to have- so we decided to order from this Grill stall instead.

Was it good?

Ummm... I don't know.

I was told that the pork chop was tender and soft.

And even though I can't say that my order was fantastic, like something I would walk 20 minutes under a hot burning sun for, but it had a familiar taste to it, and I liked the clean taste of the grilled dory, with the fun (deep fried) taste of onion rings and a big scoop of soft, buttery-flavored whipped potato. 

Perhaps one day- if I happen to be in the area- I might order their fish and chips or their fried chicken, but this grilled dory was certainly one of their healthier options, and no surprise, what with Parkway East Hospital on Joo Chiat Place a couple of steps behind.