Monday 12 June 2023

The Arsenal of Scents

If you're wondering why it is that I've shared a picture of my beauty routine, well, it's not because I'm trying to be a make up influencer or beauty influencer or anything. 

Of course not. 

But now I finally understand why people sometimes call make up war paint, and why people sometimes say that they cannot function without their beauty and make up routines. 

I never used to think that applying lotion on my face and hands were that important.

That is, until I discovered the gap, and the emptiness that followed, when I couldn't bring myself to apply it one bright, sunny morning. 

Never ever laugh at someone who swears by their lotions, their mists and their spritzes. 

It might make the difference between them getting out of bed, or staying in it dull, listless and lifeless, the entire day. 

I didn't think I'd ever place so much value in these little bottles and tubes in my box at my beauty corner.

But now I do. 

Because a big deal it now means to me. 

And a bigger deal when I realize that, without them, I might not have gotten through day after day after day. 

You know how it is in life sometimes when a spritz of face mist in the morning isn't just a spritz of face mist. but an act that gets you to the next step of the day? 

That's what the bottle of SkinCalories's face mist did for me. 

I felt the cool on my face.

I breathed in the scent of "Lavender water infused with the essence of the Lavender flower".

Then I tied up my hair.

The scent of lavender didn't stay with me only in the mornings.

When the hour came and I had to go out, there was first Yardley's Lavender EDT, and then, together with lip balm, that tiny little sample-sized tube of SkinCalories' lavender-scented BB cream. 

Don't laugh at my choice of SkinCalories. 

I'm working in it.

Don't laugh at my choice of Yardley either. 

So, it is a little mumsy, but oy, it was the only Lavender EDT I knew- and the most affordable one for that season in time.  

I'll gladly tell you that I've sprayed it quite liberally. 

I'll also gladly tell you that the SkinCalories' BB Cream made for a light, calming lavender-infused make-up coverage that helped me get ready to face the world. 

The arsenal wasn't all lavender-essence, and lavender-infused, however.

There was cherry blossom, courtesy of Nivea.

And then there was goat milk-scented serum from Korean dermatological brand Dr. Hedison. 

I won't say that this is all that has gotten me through to where I am now. 

But it's been a very, very critical part. 

It's made me feel human. 

It's made me feel like life had a purpose that was entirely my own, and not someone else's.

And it gave me (back) my identity. 

See, it doesn't matter if you're not able to get up and 'do something'. 

It doesn't matter if you cannot bring yourself to apply face powder and foundation and eye shadow and lipstick. 

No, all you need is a lotion (to soften your dry, parched skin), a face mist (to cool it), a BB cream to make you look presentable (even though you don't feel it), and a lip balm (so you don't look too dead). 

If a scent makes you feel alive, don't care how cheap or expensive it is, use it.

And if that's still not enough, get out the coffee, get out the tea, play the music, write a journal, hug a stuffie.

You might need it.

So might we.