Sunday 18 June 2023

Itacho and... me

Friends familiar with me and my blog will know that I favor Itacho Sushi as one of my favorite sushi joints.

It isn't just the (extensive) menu that speaks to me.

There is the consistency too. 

It's like I know that I'll get the same efficient service, and the same standards of food never mind which outlet I go. 

So I might be at Bugis one day and at Star Vista the next.

Or I might be at Novena one day, and at Bedok the next. 

It doesn't matter- the quality of whatever I order will be just as good- and the same.

One of our favorites whenever we come here to Itacho is this sushi. 


I don't know what the name is in the menu- but I like to call it salmon maki with tempura bits.

It's a nice dish to have; you get a medium-thick slice of salmon on top of the maki, and another slice of salmon tucked snugly within. There's a bit of mayo, the maki has seaweed, of course, and the sushi rice which adheres easily to the seaweed.

I oft have this piece in one whole bite.

 What makes this dish extra appealing is the tempura. 

It adds a most lovely, (light) crunch to the sushi, and we oft find ourselves chasing  after the remaining bits of tempura from the plate after we've munched up the maki. 

Another favorite of ours is the roasted salmon belly. 



I've been having this sushi since I first started eating there a decade ago. 

And I continue to eat it still.

I like how they flambe the surface of the salmon just before they bring it to you.

I like how the oils of the salmon belly soak into the rice and make it all soft and mushy and tasty. 

And I like how tender (and fresh) the salmon belly is. 

More often than not the salmon simply melts in your mouth, and it's so light that, honestly, it's not difficult to have at least six, or thirteen. 

Having two of our regular favorites at Itacho doesn't mean that we don't order anything else or try anything new.

We do.

Like the sweet potato fries that come served with some sort of mayo.


Like the Kagoshima wagyu sushi whose beef oils always soak into the rice and make the grains taste as if they had been prepared with essence of beef.

And like the soy sauce salmon sushi that have two versions- one with cod roe sauce (I think)- that they offer at a most wonderful price if you're there at the meal time hour.