Tuesday 11 October 2022

Fish & Co Salted Egg Style


This was our first time eating fried white bait at Fish & Co. 

Chances are, it might also be our last. 

I can't say that it wasn't good. 

But different people have different tastes and ours, perhaps, leans more towards waning more of the meat of the bait rather than the crisp of the batter skin. 

At first I thought it might have been just that one particular bait  I  was chewing- maybe I happened to get one of the skinny ones- but two thirds through our little dish we realized they were all the same. 

So we just nibbled on it- taking as much of its delish sauce as we could- and quietly told ourselves to order other appetizers the next time.


Okay, let's be rational about it.

I'm not familiar with fried white bait, sp what to expect, I don't know.

Like, are they all this small? 

And are they all supposed to taste clean and plain when eaten without the batter? 

It gave good nibbles, but I kept getting reminders of ikan bilis despite the obvious difference in size.

I don't know why. 

Good thing it was that our main order brought something familiar to our palates, and we wasted no time slicing into two the thickly battered, huge piece of fish fillet which we'd previously agreed to share. 

I might be mistaken, but I thought the fish here at Novena Square larger than those served at some of the other outlets which I'd been to. 

Maybe we were hungry. 

But (looking at these pictures) I really do think the fillet was bigger.


 

The fish was just as I remembered- hot, crisp, tasty batter wrapped around the soft, melt-in-your-mouth flesh of (what I think) is either a fillet of cod, or dory.  

I especially loved the crisp.

Funny thing is, I can't tell whether it's dory or cod- not being skilled enough to tell the difference.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it were dory- that, as I've been told, seems to be the go-to for most (affordably priced) fish & chip dishes in Singapore here

I'm not very particular about what kind of fish they offer me- especially since I'm going to eat it all battered and fried- but I think it sort of enhances the meal if I get to choose my own fish, whether it be haddock, snapper, pomfret, cod or pollock, don't you think?

Coming here to Fish & Co for dinner forged a new experience for my companion and I. 

It was the hour. 

We hadn't stayed so late in this area for dinner ever before. 

There had never been a necessity. 

(And I sincerely Hope there won't ever be). 

I'd likely make the same order of Salted Egg Fish & Chips again if I happen to be at their other outlets (Paragon and Bugis+) next time. 

But I might decide to indulge myself with their Seafood Platter.

Or I might relish in memories and go for the eye-boggling but meaty triangular-shaped deep fried swordfish collar. 

If they still have it. 

(Do they?)