Sunday 30 October 2022

Birthday Croffles @ The CD Shop

I was a little surprised when in Wisma Atria Shopping Center my friend steered me up the escalator to The CD Shop on the third floor. 

I had thought we were going to Paris Baguette.

But then my friend had remembered me saying that I wanted to try croffles as a dessert, and it seemed like The CD Shop had a particularly good one. 

Croffles aren't the only dessert they have over here, however.

They've got a breathtaking display of cute, charming, pretty little cakes too. 

At another time I might have indulged in the afternoon tea set with a pot of tea, finger sandwiches, baked pastries, macarons and little cakes, but it was now evening time and all I wanted was a croffle.

The CD Shop is not only known for their selection of CDs slotted onto vertical shelves up the walls and throughout the shop.

It is known for their food too. 

Amongst their mains include salads, sandwiches, grilled meats, poultry and pastas.

But i think it is their tea offerings, small bites and desserts that make them what they are. 

In recent months I've taken a particular fascination to the croffle. 

Just like the cronut which has gained popularity in NYC and the West Coast for being both a donut and a croissant, the croffle juxtaposes the pastry of the croissant and the pastry of the waffle into a single one. 

We had our croffle with ice cream. 

I can't remember what flavor it was we selected, though. 

Was it Hazelnut something?

Or was it another?

Chances are it might have been Salted Caramel, since I like all this salted-salted sweet-sweet stuff especially when it comes to ice cream.

It's no joke when ladies tell you that the ambience, the plating, the aesthetics and the atmosphere here are elegant.


Their croffle, when it came, didn't merely look like a thick piece of firm yet fluffy pastry on a nice, shiny plate.

It came, all firm and fluffy, sitting on a nice, shiny plate that glistened brightly under the glare of the overhead ceiling lights.

Either the croffle had a sheen of something over it, or it were the maple syrup.

It might have been the syrup.

They were very generous with it too. 

Never mind that the croffle was already very well drizzled horizontally and vertically- the server didn't hesitate when my friend asked for more. 

We chose to eat the croffle separately from the ice cream, so off we lifted the creamy round ball, then cut the pastry up into shapes of triangles and squares. 

So it didn't look aesthetically elegant, but it was just us in the whole place, and we're not fastidious about it anyway. 

I thought it quite fun eating it in different ways. 

Whilst my friend dunked all the squares into the little jug of maple syrup which the servers had left on the table, I poured a little of it out, then swiped the croffle square all over it with my fork. 

There was an attempt to eat a little triangle (with maple syrup) on its own. 

After that I slid a little bit of ice cream off just to savor the flavor. 

After that still, I combined the two, placing a little sliver of ice cream with a thick square of croffle on my fork and eating it whole. 

The ice cream did make the croffle a wee little bit more soggy (like most ice cream waffles will), but it wasn't all wet and limp like some places might be, and I could taste the flavors and the textures blending together well.

There was the buttery taste of the pastry .

There was the salt-sweet taste of the ice cream. 

And I didn't even chew at all- I let the entire piece of croffle melt off almost right away. :)

It's a rare time that I get to come to have a meal at The CD Shop. 

A part of me can't help comparing it to PS Cafe across the road, but that being said, I'm someone who appreciates music, atmosphere, and entertainment as a whole. 

So between one and the other, I'll come back here again. 

Maybe next time I'll order two portions of this croffle. 

Because I'm the sort who puts my sugar to the foods that I like, and even though I could order a pasta or another slice of cake, this croffle- with gourmet, handcrafted ice cream- is what I'm really craving for.

And it's just this that I want. 

Together with a cup of very good coffee.