Monday 19 September 2022

Holland V

I've always been a bit reluctant to come to Holland V in the afternoon. 

Maybe because the place in the daytime makes me think of a year when I didn't really like what I was doing, and yet didn't know what it was I wanted to do. 

It's funny what a place can make you think of. 

See, it would come as no surprise if a place like Holland V made you think of cafes, coffee, lunch with girlfriends, and supermarket shopping. 

Instead I think of an outfit- and it is an outfit that I (in all honesty) don't particularly like. 

I don't have very negative memories associated with the outfit. 

Just that it reflects a role that I- during that time- had, and which I- even back then- didn't aspire to be. 


Of course, Holland V in the daytime is not all entirely that singular association, nor all that singular purpose and memory. 

There have been lovely long lunches at Fosters.

There have been one or two meetings in the two-storeyed Starbucks that I used to have. 

And there have been sneaked half-hour moments of shopping at the Cold Storage during Christmas time. 

They had such lovely poinsettias right by the main door. 

And the collection of wines, chocolates, smoked meats and candy canes got me into the season without me having to get into the season all by myself. 

It's been lovely to have come here on a many a weekend. 

I've had laksa at the coffee shop.

I've climbed up the stairs to the pet store to look at puppies, bunnies and guinea pigs. 

And I've eaten egg tarts from the Tai Cheong Bakery on the very same road. 

Oddly enough I haven't been inside this shopping center much- maybe  because I went in one time- but there wasn't anything in particular that caught my eye so I never went in again. 

In recent years I've been more on the other side of Holland V though. 

There've been a couple of lunches at the Crystal Jade place right by the corner. 

There's been a mid-ride meal of waffles, caramelized bacon and scrambled eggs at Craftsmen.

And a coffee or two at the Coffee Bean there. 

There used to be a Sasa somewhere around here. 

And I think there was an Indonesian food place somewhere here too.

My memories of what Lorong Mambong used to be are a little vague- it's been too long- but I think I should be coming here to the area more often.

I'm glad of it. 

There're new memories I want to make. 

There're new things I want to see. 

Holland V might not be as much a chillout enclave to me as it might be for others, but she has her own presence, her own heritage, her own charm, and that- is what I want to see.

Perhaps I'll never be as bohemian as what they oft claim Holland V to be, but I'll make my own space here.

I'll find a time to have a meal at the hawker center here. 

And meanwhile I hope to come back to Takeshi-San izakaya for their meat platters and sushi platters soon.