Wednesday 29 January 2020

Sakunthala's Dinner


 
 
Within the heritage district that we call Little India lie restaurants that specialize in (of course) Indian cuisine. I don't know all of them- I can't really discern which is which- and all I can recognize are the famous ones. Besides Muthu's Curry and some others on Race Course Road, there's the 100% vegetarian like Ananda Bhavan and Komala's, and the mixed ones like Minora and Sakunthala which serve part vegetarian, part non-vegetarian.

I can take vegetarian- especially that spicy cauliflower dish that doesn't look like cauliflower- and my palate does seem to prefer the Indian way to vegetables, thank you very much, but I like the meat options in Indian cuisine just as well, and so when I can- depending on whom I'm eating with- it is to the non-vegetarian selections I go.

This here is Sakunthala.

They've got several outlets scattered over the entire Little India vicinity , but this here is the one closest to Mustafa. The decor reminds one of a casual diner, methinks, with its white lights, modern style furniture, easy-to-shift tables, speed serving, and seating arrangements for one, two, four, or eight.

We have our regular orders- my dining companion and I. Most of the time we get mutton briyani which we then share, because here they do large portions where the mutton pieces are huge, there's a hard boiled egg, there's preserved chili vegetables, a scoop of yogurt, papadums, and a mountain of basmati rice.

Today, however, we decided on butter chicken that had chunks of chicken bobbing about inside the thick, rich, vermillion-colored gravy. And, instead of briyani (no pappadums!) we decided on mutton naan which came served to us triangle-shaped arranged prettily in a cute basket, and which I like to think of as crepes stuffed with crispy little mutton bits slightly burnt.  

And because this is a good place for masala tea so, I had a cup of very, very sweet; very, very thick hot masala tea.