Tuesday 21 January 2020

Nana's Thai @ Far East

 
 
 
There're only two places along this side near Orchard Road I know of that offer Thai at affordable prices. Not counting the restaurants, and the food court, one will have to make their way to either Orchard Towers, or Far East Plaza.
 
I've eaten at Orchard Towers (they're the only place selling decent food that remain open after 9pm).
 
But I tend to go to this place called Nana's at Far East Plaza more.
 
The cafe at Basement Level is easy to find, homely, comfortable and reminds one of the casual eateries back in their native home.
 
The menu here has the regular offerings- nothing too fanciful, nothing too elaborate- just heartwarming and filling. You have the usual salads, the soups, the green curry, the red curry, the main dishes of vegetables and meat, the rice, the noodles, and of course, desserts and drinks.
 
I've had the phad thai here.
 
I've had the green curry here.
 
But what I love, and what I usually go for, is the tom kha, or the clear coconut soup with chicken. At Nana's they serve it in a claypot, complete with little flame beneath. The soup is thick, clean-tasting, sweet to the taste, served with a hearty bunch of vegetables, including mushrooms, and plenty of tender chicken pieces that actually taste better the longer they remain simmering in the soup.
 
I'm not exaggerating when I say I really, really love the soup. There's tom kha elsewhere, I know, but the sweetness of the coconut, the thickness of the soup, and the quantity of chicken really do make for a nice, comforting meal that warms the heart.
 
And the chicken is so good that I don't even need to eat it with sauce. Just the meat, some lettuce, the mushrooms, a spoonful of rice, and it will do.
 
The other dish that we often order is the braised pork leg, or otherwise the trotter, which, by the time it comes to the table, is really just a chunk of very tender meat served with rice and one half of a hard boiled egg. 

 
I usually get the egg and I ladle soup all over the yolk.
 
On occasion, however, we order more dishes, like on this particular time  that we were here where we ordered a prawn omelet (just to try), and so I got the addition of a nice, fluffy omelet prepared Thai style that day.