Saturday 3 August 2019

a little Lion on my bag

 
This little lion that now hangs on one of my handbags was an impulse buy as impulsive buying goes when you're at a value store, or at Daiso, in that I hadn't gone there specifically to get a bag accessory, and neither had I thought I'd even get one.

But $2 is very small a price to pay for a stuffed little toy as adorable as this that not only dresses up an otherwise plain-looking, serious-as-heck (read: old) handbag, reinforces the charm of the work I do and the strength of the industry that I'm in, but also reveala (subtly) the whimsical, friendlier side of me.

To be honest, I'm the sort who has no qualms carrying around a plush toy even though I don't have children, I don't work with children, and I'm long ahead in the minimum legal age. No doubt some children do carry around security blankets whilst others do have their dolls and toys with them when they go out, but I don't find it a childish, immature thing if an adult carries around a toy big or small. That's the charm of life. Just as serious-looking people may have very childish attitudes towards certain things, carrying around a plush toy is no indicator that the person is stupid and immature. There's a reason why plush toys never go out of style.

Because adults do squeal with delight over cute looking teddy bears, favorite characters, and charming toys.

And trust me, it is nothing to be embarrassed about. If you fancy Iron Man, well, bring him proudly around. If you want to go bop the noses of all the plushie bottle-nosed dolphins at SeaWorld, well, go ahead. They're so cute it would be a waste not to.  No one's gonna judge you, especially those who are in the comic book industry, the animation industry, the e-sports industry, and the IOTS industry. Shame on those who do. They can go s***w themselves.

Just be proud that you have the capacity to like and love a toy. Just be glad that you are confident enough to reveal this particular  side of yourself and that you have the confidence to do so.

In fact, there was a season in my life that I carried around a small Winnie-the-Pooh whilst going about my day simply because the sight of him sitting snugly inside my backpack made me smile. Unfortunately that season didn't last very long. Not because I lost interest, and  not because I suddenly matured, but because practicality reigned, there were more things I needed to carry, and there was no space without crushing the poor mid-sized plush toy.

But this little lion is a different matter.

He doesn't occupy any space inside my bag. He doesn't bounce around with the rest of my stuff. His shape is stretched, and his size is just right that I can easily hang him from the handle of my bag, catch sight of his cute charming smile, play with his little tuft of hair when I'm walking, and even shift his little plushie limbs when my handbag is resting on my lap.

Yes, he is a toy.

And a much needed one sometimes, because there are days when I just need to rest my mind from stuff that's going on, and although I haven't come to the stage where I'm speaking to him, I've come to see him almost like a friend.

Indeed he is mine.