Tuesday 9 July 2019

the Lotus Thai




It is no secret, I should say, that I am a fan of Thai street food. Whether it is the herbs, the soups, the rice noodles, the pineapple fried rice, the massaman curry or just about anything within the realms of chicken, pork, fish, seafood and beef, I am fine.

This place, located at Jalan Besar, has quickly become one of my favorite places for Thai street food. It sits at the corner of a shophouse somewhere between Veerasamy Road and Kitchener Road and directly opposite from Jalan Berseh Food Centre.

The menu here is quite extensive.

You have the larger offerings of whole steamed fish, meats, vegetables, curries and seafood, and you have the staples of rice, noodles, appetizers and desserts, and although I can say that everything looks good, I'll have to say that I haven't tried most of their offerings (yet). Maybe because I prefer to stick to the favorites at each place I go to, and thus far it has been Green Curry Beef, Tom Yum Soup and the omelette.

There's a certain sweetness to their dishes, and where elsewhere one might consider it an attempt to overwhelm the palate, here it wraps around your tongue well and complements the dish overall.

I like the alternative of beef with green curry. The places I frequent tend to offer chicken as the only choice of meat for this dish, so to have tender, well-boiled, almost shabu shabu like slices of beef swimming in the curry is lovely. And the curry is thick, which I love, for it goes well like a soup on its own (yes I drink the gravy- I don't care) and mixes perfectly well with their fluffy steamed rice.

When we do order the tom yum soup and the green curry together, the chicken pieces from the soup make their way across the table to the green curry bowl and that's how we double up and get to have green curry beef and chicken in a single go. 

We choose prawn as the filling for the omelette most of the time (coz we've already got been and chicken), and here they've got mid-sized prawns cocooned in a just-right portion of tasty, fluffy, pan fried beaten egg.

But besides these orders, maybe one day I should shake the pattern a bit and opt for a few appetizers to share and maybe substitute the main meal with desserts sometime. They've got mango sticky rice, chendol, the red ruby with coconut milk thing, and I think in the menu there's also tapioca with coconut cream.

I'd go for the mango sticky rice- after all, what with a portion of glutinous rice, juicy mango and coconut cream, I think it makes almost a full (vegetarian/vegan) meal too!