Thursday 14 December 2017

little Sketches

I did five sketches with the Keep My Notes app on my phone today.
 
A teacup, a coffee cup, a coffee cup to go, a cloud, a coconut tree and a Christmas tree.
 
Okay, that makes six.
 
I should have had seven but I deleted the last one- the one about the nail polish bottles because I didn't know how to draw the glitter onto the bottle and the colors ended up looking like it were a pot of wall paint. Very ugly.  
 
Drawing and sketching can be quite a therapeutic thing.
 
I should know, I used to do it for a while, and then things got caught up in the way and then I stopped. I stopped copying pictures. I stopped making natural sketches from photographs. I stopped coloring. I've got a box of color pencils and a tray of crayons but they're just sitting there. I'm not quite using them.
 
Still I'm glad I do sketch on a regular, if not daily basis. Seeing little pictures mixed with words breaks up the momentum of reading and leaves a visual image in the mind of the reader.
 
I'm not good at it. I just can manage to draw spheres and cubes and a bit of 3D shapes here and there. But I can do bowls and cups and mugs and bottles. I can do a vase. I can do a rainbow and a cloud in the sky.
 
And drawing them in the midst o the writing makes one really relaxed.
 
Surprisingly.
 
You know what the funny thing was?
 
I wasn't actually intending to use the app today but it so happened that I saw someone do up a really cool picture instead of having to take a picture of paper and pen as I did, and so I went hunting around for techniques that would get me the same result.
 
And the Handwriting function in the app was precisely what I found.
 
Complete with stroke thickness, color palette and eraser. :)