Monday 8 August 2016

Rio 2016

Quiet... so quiet was the publicity for the Olympics this year that for a while I actually wondered what was going on. It's highly unusual for such a universal sporting event as this to remain almost silent on their publicity. Of course, there was the usual stuff about the Games Village being unsuitable for living, and then a week before there was the announcement that Katy Perry's F.I.R.E. would be the Olympics anthem.

But then that was generally it.
 
 
If there had been any further news then I must have completely missed it out, because suddenly there was the opening ceremony and by the time I actually got to watch it, it was over.

Bummer.

I'd thought it was happening on a Saturday. Nope. It was taking place on a Friday.

And so I missed watching it live.

I missed out watching the carnival, the celebratory atmosphere of the opening ceremony. I missed out on the gorgeous light play of riotous colors. I missed out on the dances, which I'm sure would have been pretty amazing, cos you know, it is Brazil. I missed out too on the significance of the global nature conservation message which I'm sure would have taken place because AMAZON JUNGLE. And I missed out on the bright green streamers.

I'd have loved to see the competitors try their best at dancing out- country by country. I'd have loved to see the fireworks display. I'd have loved to see the refugee team walk out with their heads held high. And I'd have so loved to see Gisele Bundchen strut down the longest runway ever.

After all, controversy or no, there's something about mixing couture and high-end fashion and glamor mixing with competitive sport on the same stage that makes this a first for Sport. And why not, I ask, she's sporty, she's pretty well known around the world as a Brazilian who must have her steak, and who knows, the gap can grow narrower than we think.