Monday 8 August 2016

sparkly Glittery Gymnastics

There was Italy. There was Russia. There was Sweden. There was Hungary. There was Colombia and oh, there was Armenia too.

I've always liked watching the gymnastics. It is such a difficult sport- not everyone can simply do that vaulting thing- and yet it is so pretty to look at. And though they've got such well toned muscles, they're strong and graceful at the same time. I can't comprehend how one actually achieves all those twists and leaps. Neither can I comprehend how one vaults off, twists and lands on their feet in that gravity-defying motion. I mean, how does one even leap AND land on their feet on that bar 10cm wide?

They're showing the gymnastics on the telly now, and I'm keeping the program on. I won't be able to watch it for another four years, or at least another two before the ASIAN or ASEAN Games swing by, so I'm not missing this chance. It doesn't matter that I do not understand their techniques, nor do I understand their criteria. What I see is from a layman's eyes... and out of all the segments that they do, it is the mat performances that I love the most.

Maybe because of the music. It makes it so dance-like, you know? :)

I'm seeing something different about their makeup this year.

It's literally HD, like, stage makeup for the HD cam. All of them are wearing it- the Russians, the Swedish, the Armenian, the Italians... The Italians have their dark red lipstick and cat-eye liner and mascara for that sultry, sexy look. The Armenian has her dark red lipstick. The Hungarian and the Swedish have their foundations on and the Russians have their eyeliner and bright lipstick.

Their leotards look brighter this year too.

They've got absolutely gorgeous leotards.. each team is wearing their national colors with sparkly designs, and it totally sparkles beneath the bright stadium lights. The sparkles carry to their hair accessories too. Whilst they're doing their routines, I'm finding my eyes drawn to the scrunchies and hair clips and really, it is quite funny how some of them have like, eight of those pinned in their 'do.

All this dress doesn't distract me from the sport though. Oh no. Of course not. I'm here to watch the sport, aren't I? :)

PS: Here's what happened:
The Colombian pulled out prematurely because of an ankle turn.
The Swedish and the Hungarians did pretty strong.
The Italians had this girl on their team with the cutest of smiles.
And the Russians just do not smile.