Saturday 23 April 2016

coffee From vietnam

i love the filter

I'll be straight out about it.

The best thing about this coffee is the price. For SGD $2.50 this is one of the most attractive prices around for a filtered cup of coffee. It's more expensive than the kopi or the kopi-o or the kopi-gao we get in our coffee shops, but you're paying for the experience- and the tools that make up the experience.

I had mine at this Vietnamese cafe along Joo Chiat Road. There're plenty of Vietnamese cafes here and where I am, they've given me a spoonful of hot water in a little glass cup along with the apparatus that reminds me of some sort of chemical experiment. Beneath the lid is a filter and beneath the filter is the cup where my drink's dropping into.

It's quite mesmerizing, honestly, even therapeutic, just sitting quietly and watching the coffee seep through the mesh and a couple of minutes later, you get your cup of full-bodied, rich coffee.

I asked the lady what the hot water was for. She told me I could use it in case the coffee was too strong. I didn't dilute mine.

But I asked for condensed milk instead. :)