Thursday 9 October 2014

standing at The Window

This is an article to start the blog.

An introductory article, if I may say. to begin the entire existence of this blog. But before I start writing, let me get something out of the way and once I get it out of the way, I'm done with it.

This is not my first blog.

No way.

I've had a few since I started way back in 2006. MySpace was the very first platform that I started blogging. I probably got through two or three articles before I discovered Multiply. For a few years I was on that platform, taking care of it as well as I could, uploading pictures, writing, basically, the soul of blogging. At that time, Social Media hadn't gone as mobile as it is now, and Twitter hadn't quite exploded in popularity yet, so for long winded writers like me, that was a most apt platform to express myself.

Multiply has been off the grid now, as they say, and often I wonder what happened to all my painstakingly-uploaded pictures. I guess they're sitting in some data server somewhere. Maybe they're under the Arctic or Antarctic wilderness somewhere. Who knows? I moved on to Wordpress afterward, but I shifted to Blogspot not too long after.

I'll tell you why.

Because I'm no programmer, and if you want to do something as simple as change the background and theme in Wordpress, you HAVE to be a programmer. I mean, they give you all the programming language, which is as good as no language to me. I know of Java and C++. I don't read it and I don't understand it, not even CSS- which was what Wordpress gave to me when I wanted to change a theme.  

And so here I am now.

With this blog I'm likening it to the Experience of standing at a very clear glass window. It is akin to that of an Observer. We watch what is going on. We make our own interpretations of it. We decide what we want to see and we see what we want to see. It is all very subjective, since there's no direct communication and there's nothing that reaches to us from the other side of the glass.

Yet, it does not stop us from thinking. It does not stop us from interpreting what we see. Neither does it stop us from asking questions nor block us from yearning to discover how it is on the other side of the glass. 



cue yeungdeungpo the inspiration

Whatever it is that we interpret, whatever it is that we formulate, we just want to know if the world that we see is as it really is. Is it as free? Is it as silent? Is it as calm? Is it as energetic? Is it gentle? Is it firm? Is it violent? Is it thoughtful? The yearning doesn't stop simply because we're stuck behind the glass, making us feel as if we were really there and yet, we're not.

That's not all.

I'm also likening the Experience to be gazing upon the surface of the sea. If you've been to the seaside on a bright, hot day, you'll no doubt have seen the way the surface of the sea shimmers in the sunlight. It glitters; it literally glitters. But as beautiful as it is, what I'd really love to see is not what lies upon the surface, but the marine life that teems underneath it.

I'd love to see the creatures that swim through it. I'd love to see the corals. I'd love to see the aquatic plants. I'd love to see the seabed and its ridges. And I'd love to know if there really are mermaids.

Yet, without a separate means, from my position of land or boat that I am on, I can't penetrate the glittery surface the same way I can't reach out to the world beyond the window unless I break the glass.

But I don't intend to do either of that. I don't intend to break the glass. And I don't intend to break the surface and dive beneath it either.

What I intend to do is to write about it.

I will write about what I've seen and heard and experienced and I will write about how I feel towards it. Maybe it will make a difference, maybe it won't. I don't care. This is the world that I'm born into. This is the world that I'm living in. This is the world that surrounds me and influences me and this is the world that I breathe, eat, sleep, walk and run in. That's just how it is.

And this blog is about me writing about the life that I live.

As best as I can.

As clear as I can.