Tuesday 14 October 2014

avoiding All the Rain

Maybe I’ll get to Sarimbun jetty another time.

This is one jetty that's on the northwest of- the northwest- of this island, and that's where I wanted to go last week. Frankly I've no idea why I want to get there, but sometimes you want to do things that you don't understand. Maybe because it's dark, it’s quiet and it's one of those jetties with some sort of story around it, or so they say. 

Last week we didn't make it there and a good thing too,  cos’ if we’d remained steadfast to our plan, we’d have been caught in a heavy thunderstorm, and parka or no parka, a thunderstorm isn't great one bit at all.
 
Okay, I admit, that wasn’t reeeaaallly why we decided against going to the Sarimbun jetty.

We were, simply put, tired.

Then there was the fact that my front light battery was running out, and for much of the whole ride I was basically going, "Don't die on me, don't die on me."

We'd started from Marine Parade, went up the long road that is Hougang Avenue 3 to do an errand somewhere there, and then from there to Ang Mo Kio where we paused to squabble for a bit because I am simply bad at my sense of balance (ha!) and the pedestrians stressed me out, or maybe we were just hungry, so we stopped again.

A real stop this time at a coffee shop for a proper dinner of really, really fishy fish maw soup and beef and rice and one more dish which I don't remember now.  

Dinner over, it was up Lentor Avenue, which was okay, since you go on this pedestrian path (but there's hardly anyone on it!) and then finally Mandai Road, which is a very long road of.. long, stretchy slopes. It's simply up and down and up and down and up and down but you don't feel it when you're on the road because you're just going on and on and on until you've no idea where it begins and where it ends.
 
It was at the end of this very long road that we contemplated our forward route- which, after tossing forth a couple of arguments that included my poor leg muscles and light battery and bla bla bla, was to go back.

So back we went, taking Woodlands Road this time, and boy, what a dusty road it was with all that gravel, all that turning and all that digging. Got to Dunearn Road, turned into Cluny Road, turned again into Nassim Road- where a couple of embassies are tucked up at- and then finally our shelter.
 
Just in time to be all snug and dry before the first flash of lightning streaked across the night sky.