There aren't many pictures in this collection that I have of East Coast Road.
It isn't because there wasn't anything worth taking, but it was one of those seasons where I thought it better to have Chonkycam with me whatever the day might turn out to be.
Random these pictures thus turned out to be.
There are some of East Coast Road seen from the Roxy side.
To someone these scenes might be familiar, non-descript, a mundane daily sight, but a moment is a moment, and there is a charm seeing how the row of shop houses holding Red House Bakery, Kim Choo Kueh Chang and Stirling Steaks looks like from this side of the road.
Not merely that, there is also a charm seeing these blue bicycles from the shared bike scheme parked so neatly under this particular tree outside present day Starbucks in the former Joo Chiat Police Station.
Down the stairs on the opposite side of the road one comes very close to the shop houses that lead towards Joo Chiat Road. It makes for very great sightseeing, honestly, especially with the colors and decor and variety that each unit of these shop houses hold.
On this side of the road, you get to see how the Chagee looks like, how the Birds of Paradise ice cream parlor looks like, how Stirling Steaks looks like, and you get to see up close the bright, distinctive colors of Kim Choo Kueh Chang.
For some reason though on this afternoon, I didn't just look forward.
Instead I turned around on impulse.
Why, I don't know. Maybe I was curious to know how this row of shop houses would look like if I were seeing them from this angle, and this light.
Let's just say I was surprised.
It is not every day that the distinct green walls of Monks Brew Club throw such a soothing, contemplative shade at me.
It wasn't peculiar, I must emphasize.
Just, beautifully unusual, as if the color theme of this coffee and drinks club had been inspired by the distinctive blues, greens and pink of a peacock.
What made the scene even more interesting was the contrast of color that came up not too far away. Separated by a nail salon, a game store, and ice cream store Birds of Paradise, the side alley of Red House Bakery came up right after.
Up till now I had never noticed how the side of the bakery looked from the alley.
I had not known that there were two stories running on the side of the shop house. I had not even known that there was a kind of corridor up on the second floor.
It reminded me of some of the older heritage school buildings that I had seen downtown.
Except that I can't place the location where.
It isn't only pf East Coast Road that I have pictures in this collection.
There are two that I took whilst standing at the junction of Joo Chiat Road and East Coast Road on the i12 Katong side.
It was one of those random pictures that I decided to take simply because I happened to be at the shopping mall and I didn't want to waste an opportunity since Chonkycam was in hand.
Hence, these two.
At first glance, they might not mean a lot but it is always good to see things from a different point of view.
Life is such that you can never know for sure, but perhaps the picture of this dustbin placed on the grass patch outside the mall at this iconic junction might mean something one day.
Same goes for the charming, and some say nostalgic, walk-up apartment on Joo Chiat Road.