Friday 13 October 2023

Marina Square's Collin's

Looking at these pictures, it's beginning to seem like every time we come to Collin's for a meal, we come here for one thing, and one thing only.

The Pizza.

Frankly I don't know how it is.

I don't know how it is that, with such an extensive menu, and so many dishes I want to try, we go back to what's good and what's familiar every time we come here.

It isn't that I don't want to try their pastas or their chickens or their fish and chips.

Neither is it that I'm not interested in the tiger prawn or the mixed dish that has I think both chicken and fish. 

In fact I've been quite keen to have their pastas for a very long time.

But I guess one likes to fall back to what's familiar and delicious and easy to share, so pizza it is, and pizza (so far) I think it will be. 

There're two kinds of pizza that me and my dining companion generally like to have. 

But there was not much of an appetite this evening and so instead of two whole pizza here at Collin's Marina Square, we decided we'd go for half and half.

Which, looking at it all ways, turned out to be a most fantastic idea. 

Here we could have the choice. 

On one side you could have all the pastrami (I think it was pastrami) and the ham and the parma ham.

On the other, however, you could have the cheese and the sausage and the tomatoes and the leaves.

What's more, it was all sliced up so neatly and nicely that the toppings didn't overlap, and so we got to alternate our slices between all that meat and all the tomatoes.

I liked the parma ham. 

Maybe someone might say that there was too much meat all mixed up in a single mouthful, but I thought those thin little slices rather outstanding. Yes, they were salty, but that's the taste what parma ham should be, yes? 

What makes this pizza extra special, if you ask me, is the generous portion of toppings, and the lovely crisp of crust that makes every bite have a burst of flavors that border on the salty, the soft, the chew, and the lightly goeey cheese. 

I like how there's pineapple- that we ordered separate.

I like too how there's tomato, whose fruity, sourish tartness makes for a bit of juice in the (crusty) bread of the pizza. 

Doesn't matter whether or not you've got a drink, which, by the way we did- their lemon tea- as the juicy tomatoes and the pineapples refresh your throat in any case.

I'm glad we didn't have only the pizza. 

Because there's something else here that I like, and which Collin's is also known for.

Their potato gratins.

Don't underestimate these little cupcake sized babies. 

They might not look much, and they might be a tad oily and mushy and almost greasy (if you're not careful) but they're so good. 

Think of it as a ball of whipped potato but with a crusty top, soft interior, and a taste that combines that faint hint of butter, that faint hint of some oil (which I can't detect) and a whole lot of nice, thick mush. 

I find it very hard to resist ordering these potato gratins whenever I'm here.

It's like something feels off if the diet that day doesn't permit me to order them. 

And yet they're a dish that I can't order every time. 

Unless I decide to have Collin's Mixed Grille of sausage and steak, where this comes as a side dish, then yeah.

So these potato gratins become a real treat, and you can say I happily savor them up every single time.