Monday 20 March 2023

Bowls of Rice at Smith Street

My first visit to Kakurega (The Lair) at Smith Street was some time late last year.

Back then we were given a table close to the kitchen with the decor of a large Japanese paper fan on the wall next to our table.

This time we were brought upstairs where we were seated next to another smaller staircase that led to the upper floor. 

In front of our table this time were two more tables, alongside wall shelves holding huge bottles of sake, and what I think is whisky. 

Maybe I should have gone to take a closer look.

But we were busy looking at the menu, my friend and I, trying to decide what we ought to have for our dinner tonight. 

It wasn't an easy decision, all things considered, because we were on a very good deal, and my very practical friend was intending to make the most out of it.

Like ought we to have three plates of freshly shucked oysters and three plates of oysters with cheese? 

Or should we go for four plates of fresh, and two of cheese... 

There was no limit to the number of plates we could order. 

There was also no limit to the type of oysters we could order.

If we wanted we could have five plates of oysters baked with cheese.

Or, if we preferred, we could have seven plates of freshly shucked oysters.

It was entirely up to us. 


So we considered carefully, and in the end, decided on five (or was it six) plates of the fresh ones, and one of the cheese. 

I liked the cheese.

My friend preferred the raw ones better.

But I didn't feel compromised.

Because there were the rice bowls.

And boy, were they good!

There was only one caveat- you had to finish all the rice in your bowl before they let you order another. 

Wise move on the part of The Lair, I agree- nobody wants wasted food, especially good Japanese pearl rice. 

But there were a couple of bowls on the menu that I wanted to try- and if it were required for me to finish the rice, well, I wouldn't be able to try them all. 

So out came the unconventional, auntyish, and not quite encouraged method. 

What it was, I shan't blah- but let's just say that not one grain of our six rice bowls went to waste. 

We just might not have eaten all six bowls of rice there and then.

Perhaps you might think that we shouldn't have done this. 

But they had such great variety... and it was all so good. 



We took quite a variety, both of us. 

There was the Avocado and Salmon bowl.

There was the Salmon and Mentaiko bowl. 

Then there was one with Chicken Karaage. 

I wanted to have the avocado one (because avocado slices and rice sound interesting)

I also wanted the salmon one (because it had Mentaiko and I like Mentaiko)

The Chicken Karaage was optional- at first we thought we might order only one bowl- but then when the bowl came, we saw that the pieces were fried so well we decided to have another. 

All this would have been enough for a sufficient meal, but then I saw on the menu that there was fried udon with Mentaiko sauce... and I absolutely had to try that. (I love udon)

That made for almost five bowls (each) in total, which, coupled with all the oysters that we ordered and finished, was a very, very satisfying meal. 

Did I mind the rule?

No, not at all.

I appreciated all the flavors. (Mentaiko, thank you, and delicious chicken karaage)

I appreciated all the textures (Avocado and rice are indeed a smooth, creamy combination) 

And, yes, I liked the chewy, slurpy Udon best of all