Monday 14 March 2022

Nakhon Kitchen!

Friends familiar with my blog (and with me) will know that I am a huge fan of Thai street food.

It is a genre of Thai cuisine that I can eat nearly every day, and were it not for the necessity of balance and watching one's diet, I could do with a plate of pad thai, a bowl of green curry chicken, a fluffy pork omelet, a pot of tom kha and mango sticky rice every day.

I love how the flavors whet the appetite, open up the palate and even warm up the tummy- all in a single meal. 

Doesn't hurt that the price (in this part of the world) is relatively friendly on the wallet too. 

Perhaps we like the sanook part of our meals. 

I know I do. 

Which is why I have written- and will continue to write- about all the Thai foods that I've eaten, and eat. 

This one today was from Nakhon Kitchen- at Compass One- which we had discovered quite by accident, having not known that they had an outlet here. 

It isn't every day we are at Compass One. 

And it isn't every day we have lunch at this late an hour. 

So we ordered a bowl of fish maw soup. 


Nakhon Kitchen does their soup fairly well. 

It's hot, it's thick, it reminds one of sharks' fin soup, and even though they don't have very chunky pieces of fish maw inside, there's enough for everyone at the table to have at least one or two. 

We ordered a green curry beef and an omelet to go along with it. 



The curry was hot, sweet, appetizing, stimulating for our (tired) senses, and it came in a big bowl.

We finished up the beef. 

But despite us drinking the curry like it were some form of soup, I'm not sure we finished up the curry too. 

There was probably quite a bit left over. 

But we did eat up the egg. 

Of that I am very certain. 

Omelets done Thai style (admittedly) have to be one of my favorites when it comes to street food. 


Yes, they do lean on the oily side but they're fluffy, they're satisfying, they're often chock full with ingredients (pork/chicken/prawn/oyster- whichever you choose) and they have a taste which makes for a very filling meal. 

I like to order their omelets whenever I can.

Some people will say that their food is ordinary, mediocre, cheap and nothing to shout about, but I like to think that good, soulful food doesn't have to be elaborate, fanciful, expensive, or over the top. 

It just needs to be heartwarming, and sincere.