Sunday 27 March 2022

Boat Noodle @ Bugis

We discovered this place on the second floor of Bugis Junction not too long ago.

I wasn't very impressed the first time I came here. 

But then I came here a second time, a third time, and I've now come to like it since. 

We've started coming to this outlet quite frequently. 

And if you come at peak hours, there's always some sort of queue.

It might be because Boat Noodle is one of those millennial places where you can eat a variety of foods, feel really shiok about it, and get a marvelous bang for your buck all at the same time.

There're a lot of dishes that can be ordered here. 

One of the things you've got to order when you come here are the boat noodles (of course). 

Boat Noodles are basically small little bowls of noodles at a wonderful price of $2 (most of the time) which you can then order a couple and try them all. 

Here at this place they come served with either chicken or beef, and you've got four different soups to choose from. 

I've tried the Creamy Tom Yum and the Ayutthaya. 

I've not tried the Sweet Kway Chap.

Neither have I tried the Pathumthani. 

I've since come to favor the Ayutthaya over the Creamy Tom Yum.

There's a bit of spice, a bit of creaminess, a bit of sour sour taste and a lot of sweet. 
 
Actually I don't mind the Creamy Tom Yum, but it reminds me too much of Mama instant noodles, which I genuinely like, but don't want to eat it here lar.. :D 


What I do is to order two bowls- one of chicken, one of beef- with rice noodles, and combine them together in one bowl. 

My friend, on the other hand, is a big fan of the Kra Pow something-something. I don't remember the full name- but essentially it's basil pork with egg and rice. 


I've been told it's got enough spice to kick in an appetite. 

Maybe that's the intention (we won't know) because Boat Noodle really does have a lot of great dishes here. 

There's two different versions of fried rice, a Pad Thai, a crabmeat omelet rice, and an ayam legend sticky rice set. 

The sticky rice set sounds pretty good. 
 
There're also plenty of side dishes. 

You've got grilled chicken meatballs, grilled beef meatballs, flame grilled ayam (legend), stir fried kangkung and som tam (green papaya and carrot salad).

Not forgetting the fried chicken, fried wantons, a huge platter of deep fried snacking stuff, and deep fried kangkung with flavorful batter. 

We like to order the balls.

They go well with the noodles. 

But what really adds to the millennial vibe here is the snack stuff, the desserts, and the drinks. 

It's amazing what sharing a platter of deep fried snack stuff, or mango sticky rice can do. 

It's even more amazing how fun one feels armed with a cup of iced Thai milk tea or iced lemongrass and a plate of steamed bread surrounding a kaya dip. 

Maybe one day when the appetite hits I might order one of those platters or make my dinner mango sticky rice, but for now we stick to little bowls of noodles, a plate of kra pow something something, a couple of balls now and then, and a bowl of fried chicken skin. 


It's really good how they do it here. 

Light, crispy, moreish and tasty, it's never possible to stop at one bowl. 

So we make it a point to sometimes order two. :)