Wednesday 17 November 2021

Sushi Express

Conveyor belt sushi places aren't a new thing in this country. 

We've had them for quite a while- twenty years thereabouts, perhaps- stamped firmly into the memories of our (younger) days.

But, even as the concept is familiar to us, it's still a marvelous thing, I find, when new conveyor belt sushi places start popping up here and there all over town.

I visited this place called Sushi Express not too long ago.

Where exactly the outlet was, I cannot remember. 

It might have been somewhere in the east. 

It might also have been somewhere in the west. 

I don't know.

I remember the place more than I remember at where. :)

Sushi Express is one of those places that doesn't let you forget their vibe. In fact, they've seared their vibe so deep that the name of their place will pop up when you're in town, when you and your dining partner have varying levels of appetite or when you can't decide what you want to eat. 

It's very welcoming to have a place bright, lively and fun where you feel encouraged, no, motivated, to keep pulling plates off the belt because you're (still) hungry, the food passing by in front of you looks good, and your favorite item is just coming up the line.

One of the things I'll go for when I'm here is the salmon.



Not just the salmon nigiri, but also the Aburi salmon nigiri, the caramelized salmon nigiri, and the grilled salmon belly nigiri. 

They're quite popular- the caramelized nigiri and the grilled salmon belly nigiri. I should know- the plates had all been pulled off by other diners by the time the sushi got to me who was seated at the end of the line. 

I had to order direct from the servers. 

Doesn't matter, however, these nigiris are unique, and they're good.

Another sushi that I've come to like, and will order, is the hana maki. 

This sushi didn't use to be on the menus very much, but casual sushi diners seem to have fallen in love with this ball of rice wrapped snugly between two slices of salmon sashimi topped with mayonnaise and a spread of roe, because I don't just see it on the belt here in Sushi Express. (or in other places) but at the supermarket counters too.  

With an order of mostly salmon, someone told me that I was missing out on the rest of the menu. In a way, yes, that could be true- but life is such where I don't always have to have the tamagoyaki nigiri or the crab sticks nigiri or the shrimp or the cheese abalone. Neither is it such that I have to have the tuna salad gunkan, the crab salad gunkan, the miso soup or the seaweed salad gunkan all at one go. 

Sometimes I go for the salmon sashimi. 

Sometimes I go for the cheese masago gunkan.

It varies. 

There are times when I go for the corn salad gunkan simply because I like the color, I like how I can eat it kernel by kernel, and I like how it reminds me of school days when my friend and I would sit on the staircase in the main block and snack on pieces of either corn salad or egg mayonnaise sushi bought from the school's convenience store. 



I may not have a plate of everything on the menu here, but I don't feel like I've shortchanged myself or that I've missed out on anything.

Especially since I do make room for the sweet stuff too. 

Maybe one day there'll be more variety on the dessert menu, but it's good for me, for now. 

After all, the desserts here are impossible to resist- because how can you say no to at least a plate or two when in the midst of your main meal, they keep sending plates of cute little mochis, bouncy mango puddings, blueberry cheesecakes, chocolate cakes, fresh cream puffs and even the (seasonal) swiss rolls right in front of you?