Monday 6 September 2021

Tim Ho Wan

This dim sum place originally from Hong Kong has to be one of my most frequented dining places whenever I'm in town. 

Not because it is Michelin-starred. 

But because it is dim sum. 

And I love how dim sum is one of those meals where you can either order eight, or order two. 

It doesn't matter. 

No one at Tim Ho Wan will bat an eyelid if I make just a single order of pau. 

It is, after all, their signature dish- one of Four Heavenly Kings on their menu- crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, with fillings of moist, soft, sweet, little chunks of char siew. 

This dish is a staple that we always make space for. 

This one comes up first in our order. 

The rest vary. 

Some days we go for the cheong fun. 

Some days we go for either the puffs (very well fried!) or the spring rolls. 


Then there are days when we go for one plate of baked paus, one plate of spring rolls, one bowl of chicken and mushrooms steamed over rice with cordycep flower sauce, whatever's hot on the menu, and Chinese tea. 

Their new dishes always catch my eye. 

One Chinese New Year they had pan-fried nian gao and water chestnut cake. Loved them- wish they were on the permanent menu.

A while back they had their version of salted egg custard buns. Either fried, or the sweet potato kind- I can't quite recall.

Then recently we attempted their pork cutlet and egg with rice and curry on the side.


It looks ordinary, but it is in fact rather good. 

Not quite the glorified chap chye png as some might think, but a dish where you get a lightly battered piece of pork chop skillfully fried, a piece of thin, light omelet on the side, a lovely portion of rice underneath, and lashings of curry. 

Interestingly the dish gave me char chan teng vibes. 

Or, at least, what I remember of the times where I ate at them. 

It's been too long a while since I've been to Hong Kong. 

And maybe I'll get there soon. 

But in the meantime, there's Tim Ho Wan- with her excellent takeaway boxes (yes, seriously), her warm char siew paus, her century egg and pork porridge, and her new introductory eats.