Thursday 30 September 2021

Marrybrown's Fried Chicken

Nothing screams "Weekend's Here!" better than a meal of deep fried fast food chicken on a Friday afternoon. 

Arnold's (Ayam Goreng) is my go-to when it comes fried chicken (theirs is indeed very good) but a Marrybrown opened at the Wisma down the road couple of months ago, so we thought we'd try.



Great decision it was, I tell you. 

Didn't matter that all we had was (just) five pieces of deep fried crispy battered chicken in a box- nothing more.

No fries, no coleslaw, no drink, no mashed potato with gravy. 

Just the chicken- and the chicken alone. 

It was a conscientious, carefully calculated decision. 

Chicken was what we craved for- chicken was what we would get. 

Their food was (surprisingly) good. 

Wait, don't get me wrong. 

It isn't because I'm biased- I don't favor one brand over the other- but the last time I had Marrybrown's chicken was when The Parents and I ordered an entire bucket for our dinner whilst vacationing in Melaka more than ten years ago.

I've not had their chicken since then. 

So a pleasant surprise it was, therefore, when, despite the difference between time of purchase and time at table, the batter, when our lunch arrived, was not soggy and neither had the chicken turned cold. 

Instead all of it was as fresh as it would have been had we gone to eat it at their outlet over there.

Every piece- generously sized- was hot to the touch, the skin crispy, the batter crunchy, and there was no sight of undercooked, or overcooked meat anywhere. 

The tenderness of the meat impressed me. 

Especially since I have been to places where the chicken looks delicious, is hot when you touch it, has crispy skin everything, but dear me, get to certain parts of the bird and the meat's tough, tasteless and dry.

None of that with Marrybrown here.

Each piece had been prepared with caution, cooked with care. 

Let's just say it was a fun, fantastic lunch we had that day. 

I loved it. 

Pretty sure you will, too. ;)