Thursday 12 November 2020

(Instant) Penang Har Mee

There have been a good number of instant noodle flavors introduced to the market this year, and even though this Penang Har Mee is not one of the newer, nor the more popular ones, it ranks as one of my favorites besides the flavors of Kyushu White, Maggi Shrimp, the Laksa from Koka, the Creamy Tom Yum and the Hokkaido Miso. 

It wasn't I who discovered this flavor. 

The Parents did.

Gleefully they told me that One Parent had seen this brand on the supermarket shelf and because it looked interesting, decided to buy it, and  "oh we tried already, not bad, the soup prawn taste quite strong." 

So I made a bowl for myself- rice cooker style- and yep, they were right. 


The taste of the prawn was indeed strong. 

Couldn't be compared to the real prawn noodle soup prepared by simmering fresh prawns and prawn heads in a pot for hours on end, but short of having to stand over the stove or jaga the slow cooker (also for hours on end), this was the best, most efficient alternative for a lovely, heartwarming meal.

The Parents didn't mind.

And of course, neither did I.

See, friends who know me will know that I have a special love for instant noodles. 

No secret about it. 

And even though I know that there are those who may cast a disparaging eye at instant noodles, ramyun, ramen, suan la fen, Mama, Maggi and the like, these noodles have always been a thing between The Parents and I. 

They know how meticulous (troublesome) I am when it comes to the way I like my noodles prepared. They know what my favorite ingredients used to be and right now are. And in less than 10 seconds they can tell you what my favorite seasoning was whilst growing up, and what my favorite seasoning is right now. 

These noodles aren't just a meal. 

They are a memory. 

A memory of late lunches and standing over the stove.

A memory of getting distracted by the TV and accidentally letting the pot overboil. 

A memory of rainy December afternoons, and of fairy lights twinkling prettily on our full-sized Christmas tree.