Friday 26 June 2020

Changi Beach Park















I made a special trip to this place on a cool, cloudy afternoon because only a few days prior Someone had told me that there was Something of Significance down here which would be good for me to see. 

And even though I initially had no idea of what it was I was supposed to see, by the end of it all, by the time I was ready to leave, I not only managed to see what I had come here for, I also held a deeper understanding of what the Significance meant. 

If you think that I'm talking in circles, well, I probably am. 

But that's because this place has so many corners, so many facets and so many stories that it is impossible tor me to describe all of them at one go. Where do I begin? What story do I first begin to tell? Do I speak of the trees that stand in this place? Do I speak of the islands that lie opposite? What of the bumboats that ply their routes between the mainland and Pulau Ubin and Pengarang? What of the horseshoe crabs that sometimes make their way up and down the sandy shore?

It isn't only that I don't know where to begin. It is also that more and more of herself does she reveal the more and more that I am here.

Well, at least that's how it is for me. 

You know, I didn't use to come here very much. 

In fact, I didn't even know of this place until I came here for the first time at fourteen years old. Much of that night I no longer remember, except that it was late, it was dark, I was new to the place, and I was all alone. 

The reason for my being here would keep me away from this place for a long time, and it would take several more years before I stepped into this place again. 

In recent years I've come to this place more often, and I've come to appreciate her presence much more. 

Still, I'm always surprised to find that this place sincerely resonates with me.

Different things I notice at different times.

At one time I might be seeing just a bunch of coconut trees facing out towards the open sea. At another time I may be seeing the bench beneath the same group of coconut trees also facing out towards the open sea. 

It varies. 

And I can never know what it is I should expect.

There have been times where I've noticed the BBQ pits and the  shelters. There have been times when I've gotten distracted by the weather and the trees and the scenery and noticed them not. 

Thing is, to fully appreciate the vibes here means having to come here with an open heart and an open mind. Erase everything you know. Remove every fact of this place that you think you know. Then, and only then, will she reach out to you. Then, and only then, will you hear what it is she is trying to say.

Perhaps I've grown to be more sensitive over time, but I've since found that there is so much going on in this one little place that I've totally given up trying to process it all. 

Nevertheless when the mood comes, I hop on either the bus or on Daffy, I come here, I say hi, I have a coconut water and I go around wherever my feet apply.

Now, if you're still puzzled by what it is I'm trying to say, well, let me put it this way. 

Everything here at this place is about the vibe. 

Not the vibe that she possesses. 

But the vibe that you yourself have. 

What is it that you want to see?

What is it that you want to hear? 

Take a moment, quiet your heart, and just listen.

You'll be surprised at how peaceful you'll find yourself to be.