Wednesday 21 June 2017

everything that is Salmon

I like this fish. I really, really do. I eat it as much as I can (within safe mercury consumption levels, if not I take lots and lots of onions which I heard are good to counter the mercury thing) and although I've heard that air-flown is the best, I'm not so much of a stickler, and if farmed salmon grants me my Omega-3 and everything good that comes along with it, I'm all for it. :)

roasted fatty salmon

roasted fatty salmon
salmon sushi

roasted fatty salmon


and... roasted fatty salmon

I didn't use to eat it a lot. I mean I ate it, but I wasn't as passionate as I am about it now.

But there was a time when the diet called for plenty of salmon, and that was the time we discovered Itacho Sushi and her roasted fatty salmon sushi. Okay, they've got lots of great offerings at affordable, fun prices, and they've got locations all round Singapore, from Jurong East to Changi Airport to Downtown.
 
I'm often around Downtown and so it is to Plaza Singapura, Bugis and ION outlets that I usually head to if I'm in the mood for salmon sushi that melts completely in your mouth.  I'm serious. It is not often that I get to have salmon sushi that melts, but this does.

This part of the salmon comes from the belly, and thereby, being one fat fish, the belly part is fatter. Which means that there's this rounded flavor, and this rounded flavor becomes further enhanced when the guys at the counter do the flame thingy with the gas canister all over the sushi, allowing the oil from the belly  drip down into the rice and so not only do you get melt-in-the-mouth salmon, you get salmon-infused rice served hot to you as well.

Is it no wonder that I can finish 6-12 pieces at one sitting? I'm not the only one calling this a favorite, by the way. I've seen a couple order 26 pieces and finish them all.
 
It's not all about roasted salmon for me though.

There's sashimi, eaten best with soy sauce and a dollop of wasabi.
 
There're a couple of places that I go to. At rare times there are the hotel buffets, and of course when you're at these buffets, you just whack. One plate full. Two plates full. There are times when I'm at Sakuraya Fish Market where the salmon belly sashimi is as soft and cold and fresh and distinctive. I've been to the restaurant at Hotel Miramar where the sashimi is skillfully cut and served. I've eaten salmon sashimi don at Raffles Place and at Ichiban.

And there are times when any counter in the nearest supermarket will do. :)
 
I'm not picky.