Thursday 23 May 2024

Bus Ride Sights: NEX-Ubi

This be one of the bus routes that I have, since last year, been taking frequently, sometimes once a week, sometimes twice a month. 

From where this bus route actually begins, I don't know- I think it's from Ang Mo Kio- but I tend to board the bus from here- the bus stop opposite NEX Shopping Mall in Serangoon, and all the way I go until the second last bus stop before the route finally ends. 

First up after the bus turns left from the bus stop is this- a flyover above my head which, I can tell you- didn't use to be there, and was only built twenty or bit more years ago, and because there's a traffic light here, more often than not I get to take pictures of all the landscaping underneath the flyover, and whatever moss on the pillars there be. 




Not too far ahead, one comes to the area that lies between the expressway and Lorong Ah Soo behind. I've no idea what the name of this area is- all I know is that it's mostly residential, with a couple of shop houses, a few coffee shops, and what I think is a union clubhouse and a couple of churches nearby. 

And I took this picture because it's so seldom that I get to see two double deck buses of Tower Transit together at the same bus stop. 

One comes to the junction of Bartley Road East and Upper Paya Lebar Road not too long after, where beyond it is a row of shop houses that I like to think of as the roast duck row because there is a well-known roast meats place in one of the units somewhere along this row. 



What makes this stretch interesting too are the flatted factories that lie behind these shop houses. Most of them seem independently owned (as in they're not JTC), and none of them look like they've been there too short a time. 

There's something nostalgic looking at these buildings, honestly, like a sort of reminder how Industry of the island during the 70s and 80s used to be. 


It's a series of new blocks in the Circuit Road Housing Estate zone that one comes to right after. This is a fairly long stretch of blocks here, I think, and quite new too, having come up in probably the last decade or so. I don't know much about these blocks but there's a Sheng Siong supermarket and a coffee shop in the center of all these blocks- I know- I bought a packet of milk and a cream bun from the supermarket before. 


It is to the junction of a road where a police station lies, and a turn into another industrial estate that one comes to after.

I'd like to be able to describe properly just what industries are within all these buildings, but I can't. 

It might be technology or technology support.

It might be manufacturing.

It might also be supply of hardware. 

I don't know for sure what it is.

All I know is that the vibe of SME (small-medium enterprise) here is strong, and it's charming to know that one can expect coffee shops with lots of very delish shiok shiok food, one can expect chonky backpacks slung across staffers and workers as they make their way around, and one can expect to see bicycles here, there, everywhere.  





I've not gotten the chance to explore this area on foot. 

But maybe I will, one day, when I have time.

Especially the residential areas that lie right next to the industrial blocks.

I want to try the chap cai png at the coffee shops. 

I've heard that they fill the trays up to the max with lots of dishes, and all the food's tasty, cheap and good.