Saturday 19 August 2023

Voco Orchard

Same view, same interiors, different name.

That's what VOCO Orchard (today) is- to me- simply because (to us amateur guests at least) stepping through the doors of this hotel property brings a sense of familiarity, that, despite the name change on the building and on the front door, everything else more or less feels the same.

Here is the lobby with the counter. 

Here are the chairs where waiting guests and visitors can have a seat. 

The to-go bakery is right at the corner near the lifts.

And the restaurant (I'm not sure if it's the same name) is at the back close to Reception. 

It's a nice place, the room of this VOCO Orchard, coming complete with comfortable king-size bed, spacious shower stall, work desk, side tables, coffee table, armchair, fridge, wardrobe, bedroom slippers and cup counter. 




I liked the armchair more than I liked the desk, which, like many other work desks in other hotels, this time I'm glad I didn't have to use.  

Perhaps one day I might find the room's corporate desk more enjoyable than what my memories tell me.

Perhaps one day I might feel less pressure being seated at a corporate desk in a room than what I (strangely) still feel.

Our view this time was the other side of Orchard which most of us walkers don't really get to see.


Mostly condos, I suppose it's not very attractive a sight for visitors, but then again, Grange, Cuscaden and River Valley mark the outskirts of our shopping district and they do have their own charm too. 

I don't really remember what it was we did this time during our stay in VOCO.

Except for the special dinner which we had at the restaurant downstairs where (as part of the deal) we had a steak, a bottle of wine, and an extra order of truffle fries. 

I remember the steak huge and well-roasted.

I remember it having that bit of a burnt taste, and a lot of chew. 

Which part of the cow it was I can't recall but, going by the size, it might have been tenderloin.

There wasn't much of a fat though (which I had hoped there would be cos I like the rounded taste of roasted fat and the soft, gentle chew) but it didn't really matter since the bernaise sauce was good. 

So delicious was it that we asked for another serving (that they made a no-charge exception for) to go with our fries.

If the dinner at VOCO was memorable, breakfast next morning was just as good too. 

You might say I'm biased- buffet breakfasts are after all one of my favorite parts about any weekend breather- but, really, the food here at VOCO was good. 

You had the option of American and Continental, of course, toast, eggs done however you like, sausage, bacon, hash browns, the works. Then there were the pastries- a huge variety, I must add- and more varieties of breads and butter and margarine and jams. 

Then there was the Asian which included noodles, dim sum, congee and all the ingredients.

But what charmed me was the Japanese corner. 


For some reason- maybe it was the way they arranged everything- I found myself drawn to the soba station, and despite having had a mixed plate of cheese and mushroom omelet, crystal paus, tater tots and rock melon (yes I like fruit with my eggs, don't ask me why) earlier on beforehand, I decided on a bowl of soba with tamago and edamame. 

Charmed me totally, the soba- it made me feel full, maybe- and between this on the menu, and the crystal paus, honestly, I could have them for breakfast just on their own, any day, and any time.