Saturday 13 May 2023

A Little Brook

So I found myself over at this place near the (newly moved) Bird Park and the Singapore Zoo.

I wasn't here to see any penguins, storks or flamingoes. 

Neither was I here to see any tigers, lions or elephants. 

I was here to see something else entirely. 

But they weren't kidding when they said this place is close to nature. 

It really is. 

And even though there might be replicates- aviaries, enclosures, transported trees and all- there're also parts that are natural, and parts that you can't tell whether they're man-made or not. 

One of the spaces I couldn't distinguish between one and the other was this- a little brook very close to the main road. 

On one hand it looked natural, as if it were sloping naturally from the hill where it seemed to originate from. 

On the other hand, however, those stones... 

I don't know if our country has ever had stones this natural this huge. 


The brook was rather parched today. 

I'm not sure if it were always this way- it's been some time, but I remember it having a bit of water once, and I was surprised that today I could see the bed of the brook, and the base of the scattered rocks all over the bed as well. 

Then again it's been a dry season- a very dry, hot season- and so no surprise if even the little brook at this place has been affected too. 

Perhaps then one good thing I did see this particular afternoon were the flowers.

They were blooming really well. 

Maybe someone waters them.

Maybe they bloom well on their shrub never mind the weather. 

But they were very pretty. 

And seeing them gave me a quiet little smile too.