Monday 19 April 2021

Brunch at Craftsmen

Good is a place that serves up a nice, delicious brunch. 

Better yet, however, is a place that serves up a nice, delicious brunch throughout the day.

A friend told me about Craftsmen; said that their coffee was good, their croissants came recommended, and if I didn't fancy their cake and buttery pastry, there were waffles too. 

So, being one of those types that can eat breakfast foods any time of the day, we went.

They've got a few outlets around the island, I heard- Siglap, Holland Village, Clarke Quay, but for convenience, we decided on the Clarke Quay one. 

First thing that struck me about the place was the scent of coffee. 

Strong, stimulating, the fragrance permeated through the entire cafe, building upon its warm, cozy decor, and making me want to order a latte even though I wasn't planning to have one. 

Unfortunately it was late evening, I'd already drunk wo cups during the day, and I didn't think it wise to have another. 

So I resisted. :D

And considered taking a juice instead. 

We decided on a plate of savory waffles, an addition of caramelized bacon, and a side of (seasonally offered) salted egg fries. 

I'd hoped to have the waffles with ice cream, but my friend reminded me that ice cream did not a proper food make and I would do better to have scrambled eggs instead.  



Wise move, it turned out to be. 

The scrambled eggs had the most wonderful texture, bordering between the runny and the dry where they weren't so watery that I couldn't fork them up, nor were they so hard that the eggs lost their flavor. 

The bacon, too was great. 

Even though it was just one single portion, the thin slice had been turned so well in the pan over the right heat that you could savor the fried fat of the meat together with its crispy, slightly-burnt edges. 

However, it were the waffles that I liked best of all.

Thick, crispy and warm, there was no sogginess to the texture and they were no small-sized portion either. At first I separated my waffle into its tiny, cute little squares, dipping them into the maple syrup, but afterward I decided it seemed more fun to nibble away at the squares using my hands.

It was a wonderful, memorable meal we had that late evening. 

Alternating the waffles, the eggs, the bacon, the chopped tomatoes with the bowl of (reasonably flavorful) salted egg fries, we polished off our meal in record time. 

Too quick, it seemed. 

But, no matter, perhaps I'll have my own plate of savory waffles next time. 

Who knows, perhaps I'll try their pastas or waffles with ice-cream or even their ice-cream sandwiches (for dinner, yes!) 

Then again, I might go for their much-recommended croissant instead. 

There was a smoked salmon and avocado croissant on their menu.